Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Shiloh/Pittsburgh Landing... Win, Lose, or Draw?

  • brisher@midsouth.rr.com
    Message 1 of 78 , Mar 2, 2004
      The "what if" scenario concerning Johnston's death at Shiloh goes way back into Confederate Lost Cause mythology as a reason for defeat at Shiloh. We have to realize, that, had Johnston not been struck down, the Confederate troops would have still been green, Prentiss's men would have still held firm, Grant was still forming the defensive line back at Pittsburg Landing, and Buell was still just across the river. However, you can't ignore the role of contigency in contributing to Confederate failure at Shiloh. I may not have seen every post on this subject, but I would like to hear someone much more knowledgeable about Shiloh than me chime in.

      Brian Risher

      > A Union victory, yes, but would you not concede this was a
      > much "nearer-run thing" than is generally thought? What if Sidney
      > Johnston had not been KIA at the precise moment he was on April 6th?
      >
      > Tom Simmons

      > ~-->
      > Buy In
      k Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
      > Canada.http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GmiolB/TM

    • james2044
      Message 78 of 78 , Mar 7, 2004
        I sold all of my Richard Berg's regimental level ACW games on eBay a
        couple of years ago. They turned into a Euroarms 1861 Springfield
        defarbed by John Zimmermann. In terms of ACW games HPS is your best
        bet and IMO the best games. Talonsoft is in second place but they
        have dropped off the map by choice.

        The HPS Campaign series is great fun and not bad history. I've
        found that knowing something about the campaing helps or makes
        things better. I play the AI, won't commit the time, and beat it
        almost to death. In fact, if I don't beat the AI, the attack was a
        real bad idea. Maybe someday, HPS will move east.

        I miss the old SPI board games too. The touch and feel of
        a "monster game" was something that can not be duplicated on CD.
        However, the cat has never knocked a game to hell on my PC and my
        wife isn't asking when we "get the table back" either.

        James2044