Re: [civilwarwest] Re: A few of my favorite statistics of the Civil War + more Bell Hood

  • Bill Merritt
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2004
      Loading the musket with the bayonet attached was no problem at all; it was a socket, so the barrel of the gun was free. I've done it often, without noticing the bayonet.

      Mark Peters <mark-peters.midlandsandnorth@...> wrote:
      There was another problem, with bayonets and firing, I thought of
      after.  Reloading a musket, with a bayonet attached must have been a
      problem in itself.

      Was it possibly the case that the musket was loaded, then bayonet
      attached after?  Otherwise, the logic would be that the bayonet was
      attached at all time during combat, and we know that this was not the
      case.  If so, this would have allowed one shot only before using the
      bayonet in defence/attack.  As a result, crossfire could not have
      been much of a concern when forming square.

      Mark

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bill Merritt <bilmerritt@y...>
      wrote:
      > Nevertheless, the Bayonet was an essential piece of equipment for
      the Civil War soldier. They served numerous purposes...for instance,
      they made superb candle-holders, and were very good for cooking meat.
      I imagine, also, that far more pigs and cows were stuck by bayonets
      than were humans.

      civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "tmix" <tmix@i...> wrote:

      > Tom and Joe,
      >
      > Interesting comments on bayonets, etc.  As has been suggested
      > previously, the bayonet was certainly not a preferred weapon for
      most
      > Napoleonic forces.  The British developed the use of the bayonet
      > after attempting to combat the use of claymores by the Jacobites
      > (mostly Scottish clansmen) in the '45.  The tactics of the
      Jacobites
      > was to charge the Hanoverians, after receiving the initial volley,
      > and close before reloading.  The musket was then useless in hand to
      > hand combat.  Hence, the addition of a short sword on the end of
      the
      > musket.  So Tom is quite correct in stating that this was
      essentially
      > a defensive weapon.  Most Napoleonic tactics were developed in
      > attempting to achieve the greatest amount of fire by a given number
      > of troops ie. ranks v columns.
      >
      > With regards to cross-fire, as at Waterloo, I am unsure as to how
      > many casualties could have resulted.  To fire at a group of
      marauding
      > French cavalrymen would have been essentially a one, possibly two
      > off, as reloading would have resulted in standing and lowering the
      > bayonet being used for defence.  Therefore, I believe that only a
      > shot at an advancement, and possibly one at retreat (unlikely due
      > time and recuperation) could have been possible.
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > > I do not know of any stats. After such a fight the carnage would
      be
      > > tremendous with little effort to assuage the actual cause on
      death.
      > This
      > > would especially be so when Hussars and Carabineers were
      involved,
      > inter
      > > mixing their fire with that of the squares. The cross fire as
      sort
      > of a
      > > given and accepted price of the combat. Without the square, the
      > infantry
      > > would be trampled down so the risk was worth taking. Kind of: the
      > better
      > > of 2 evils, with the square providing the best chance of
      survival.
      > > Tom M.

      All
      > > > squares were a "tactical defensive" ploy as they were static.
      Of
      > > > course the cross fire of squares took out a lot in friendly
      fire
      > > > casualties.
      > > > Tom M.
      > > >

      > > Tom,
      > >
      > >  I had never really considered the crossfire effect on the nearby
      > > squares, but of course that must have done considerable "friendly
      > > fire" damage.  Are there any statistics concerning this?
      > >
      > > Joe
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Service.

    • tmix
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2004
        Yes, loading and re-loading were a challenge with the bayonet attached.
        Some of our re-enactors could better discuss this than me since they
        have done, although obviously not under life and death situations. But
        what you touched on is why a bayonet charge was very rare. When
        Chamberlain ordered his charge it shocked his men knowing it meant an
        all or nothing, do or die event. It was a chilling order that I found
        the movie to portray beautifully.
        In Napoleonic times it was more of given to use the bayonet. At
        Friedland the French engaged the Russian Guard who were quite tall. Thus
        the French found they had to jab in an upward motion. Napoleon's surgeon
        Larrey made quite a study of after battle results that helped him create
        advancements in the medical, like the first mobile field hospital near
        the front.
        During the Civil War, a bayonet charge was often regarded as a last
        resort suicide move. A very scary proposition.
        Tom M.

        wrote:
        > Nevertheless, the Bayonet was an essential piece of equipment for
        the Civil War soldier. They served numerous purposes...for instance,
        they made superb candle-holders, and were very good for cooking meat.
        I imagine, also, that far more pigs and cows were stuck by bayonets
        than were humans.

        > Mark Peters <mark-peters.midlandsandnorth@m...> wrote:--- In
        civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "tmix" <tmix@i...> wrote:

        > Tom and Joe,
        >
        > Interesting comments on bayonets, etc. As has been suggested
        > previously, the bayonet was certainly not a preferred weapon for
        most
        > Napoleonic forces. The British developed the use of the bayonet
        > after attempting to combat the use of claymores by the Jacobites
        > (mostly Scottish clansmen) in the '45. The tactics of the
        Jacobites
        > was to charge the Hanoverians, after receiving the initial volley,
        > and close before reloading. The musket was then useless in hand to
        > hand combat. Hence, the addition of a short sword on the end of
        the
        > musket. So Tom is quite correct in stating that this was
        essentially
        > a defensive weapon. Most Napoleonic tactics were developed in
        > attempting to achieve the greatest amount of fire by a given number
        > of troops ie. ranks v columns.
        >
        > With regards to cross-fire, as at Waterloo, I am unsure as to how
        > many casualties could have resulted. To fire at a group of
        marauding
        > French cavalrymen would have been essentially a one, possibly two
        > off, as reloading would have resulted in standing and lowering the
        > bayonet being used for defence. Therefore, I believe that only a
        > shot at an advancement, and possibly one at retreat (unlikely due
        > time and recuperation) could have been possible.
        >
        > Best wishes,
        >
        > Mark
        >
        > > I do not know of any stats. After such a fight the carnage would
        be
        > > tremendous with little effort to assuage the actual cause on
        death.
        > This
        > > would especially be so when Hussars and Carabineers were
        involved,
        > inter
        > > mixing their fire with that of the squares. The cross fire as
        sort
        > of a
        > > given and accepted price of the combat. Without the square, the
        > infantry
        > > would be trampled down so the risk was worth taking. Kind of: the
        > better
        > > of 2 evils, with the square providing the best chance of
        survival.
        > > Tom M.

        Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • tmix
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2004

          I know of 2 squares in the ACW and they were individual efforts as opposed to interlocking compositions which was the norm in Napoleonic times.

          One of the squares was at Chancellorsville which helped take out Stonewall and the 2nd was on the far right of the Confederate line on day one at Gettysburg. Another possible one may have been formed on Day 3 to repulse Kilpatrick’s stupid charge. Buford and Gamble had the good sense to not attack the CSA square on the 1st day but did make sure to worry and occupy the infantry units.

          Could you give me some details on any other squares you may know of?

          Tom M.

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2004
            Sorry, I can't give any more details of the other squares, though I shall ask. It was a discussion, a few years ago, on the Gettysburg Discussion group. I got bounced by that group (voluntarily, really), after a real heated discussion on Dan Sickles. I have another source, though, and shall get back to you.

            tmix <tmix@...> wrote:

            I know of 2 squares in the ACW and they were individual efforts as opposed to interlocking compositions which was the norm in Napoleonic times.

            One of the squares was at Chancellorsville which helped take out Stonewall and the 2nd was on the far right of the Confederate line on day one at Gettysburg. Another possible one may have been formed on Day 3 to repulse Kilpatrickļæ½s stupid charge. Buford and Gamble had the good sense to not attack the CSA square on the 1st day but did make sure to worry and occupy the infantry units.