Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Colonel Murray [was Confederate Options in 1864 [was H...

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
      Tom,
             Oh the Colonels and Brigadiers of the AOT were a fascinating and some of them had some real talent.  You mention both John Murray and John Kelly, I have studied them a good bit as they were both in Liddell's/Govan's brigade which has been a point of study for me for the past ten years.  Both of them were young, both at West Point when the war broke out, both commanded Arkansas Regiments in the same brigade, and both would die in combat.  Kelly would get promoted and did a fantastic and largely unrecognized delaying action at the Battle of Pickett's Mill.
               There are others worthy of mention too, Colonel/General Thomas Benton Smith, another Boy General, and then you have some like Colonel Antony Francois Rudler, he served in the Mexican War, was a Filibuster in Cuba and in Nicaragua, he did good service in the AOT, until severly wounded at Missionary Ridge.

      Lee
    • tasimmo
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, LWhite64@a... wrote:
        > Tom,
        > Oh the Colonels and Brigadiers of the AOT were a fascinating
        and some
        > of them had some real talent. You mention both John Murray and
        John Kelly, I
        > have studied them a good bit as they were both in Liddell's/Govan's
        brigade
        > which has been a point of study for me for the past ten years.
        Both of them
        > were young, both at West Point when the war broke out, both
        commanded Arkansas
        > Regiments in the same brigade, and both would die in combat. Kelly
        would get
        > promoted and did a fantastic and largely unrecognized delaying
        action at the
        > Battle of Pickett's Mill.
        > There are others worthy of mention too, Colonel/General
        Thomas
        > Benton Smith, another Boy General, and then you have some like
        Colonel Antony
        > Francois Rudler, he served in the Mexican War, was a Filibuster in
        Cuba and in
        > Nicaragua, he did good service in the AOT, until severly wounded at
        Missionary
        > Ridge.
        >
        > Lee

        Lee,

        Very interesting stuff; yes, there were seemingly many "bright
        blades" coming out of the "Cleburne connection" (and elsewhere). My
        overall point with this line of reasoning is that the AOT was NOT
        the rabble Hood represented them to be to Jefferson Davis.

        I didn't know this about Murray, but apparently his commission as a
        brigadier general was approved on the day he died (?).

        BTW, I would like to exchange a private e-mail with you. I'm at
        cedarrun@...

        Regards,

        Tom S.