Re: John Bell Hood

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 136 , Mar 1 6:10 AM
      Is there evidence that Hood saw an opportunity in the poor deployment
      of the US forces?

      Two US brigades placed well in front and astride the Columbia Pike
      masked the attack from the main line. The CS forces managed to follow
      these retreating units well into the main US line until repulsed by
      Opdycke. Remember also that Opdycke's brigade was *supposed* to be
      the 3rd brigade in the forward line, but Opdycke saw the foolishness
      in such a position and continued up the pike to the Carter
      plantation.

      Unlike Pickett's charge, Hood continued to attack long after the main
      effort was repulsed...

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "tmix" <tmix@i...> wrote:
      > Not to be piling on, but Hood gets plenty of blame from me for
      Spring
      > Hill as well. Hood may have regarded it as his "master stroke" but
      did
      > darn little to see that it was carried out. He told Cheatham one
      thing
      > then 2 of Cheatham's Brigadiers something else without informing
      > Cheatham who then tried to correct the situation by reverting the
      troops
      > to their original objective as previously detailed by Hood to
      Cheatham.
      > The break down in communications falls in Hood's lap as it was he
      who
      > issued the old and new orders without telling all who needed to
      know.
      > When informed of the confusion he did nothing, just stayed in bed.
      It
      > has been mentioned that he had a rough day. I wonder what kind of
      night
      > it was or would have been for troops who had to carry out Hood's
      orders.
      > They did not get to stay in bed. Let alone get blamed the next AM
      for
      > the Spring Hill failures.
      > Franklin was an unmitigated disaster. There is no excusing or
      explaining
      > it. They almost broke the lines because of the bravery and tenacity
      of
      > the doomed Confederate soldier. And credit must be given to the
      brave
      > Union troops who held that area around the Carter House.
      > Tom M.

      Service.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Tom Mix