Re: Colonel Murray [was Confederate Options in 1864 [was Hood]

  • tasimmo
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...>
      wrote:
      > I'm unfamiliar with this colonel. What interests you about him?
      > Carl
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "tasimmo" <cedarrun@e...>
      wrote:

      > > I would really like to change subjects (in a manner of speaking)
      and
      > > deal with the intriguing comparison between the AOT brigadiers
      (plus
      > > a few colonels, like John Murray of Arkansas) and their ANV
      > > counterparts...lots of room for "controversy" here....
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Tom S.

      Hi Carl,

      Murray's youth (as I recall, he was a colonel at 19 but it was
      certainly while in his very early 20s), his charisma and his
      competency all come to mind. He is mentioned in reports in the
      Official Records on a number of occasions, and his existing written
      reports show him to be both educated and succinct. I would very much
      like to locate an image of him, if such exist. He was killed at
      Atlanta in August 1864 (again, as I recall but I'll look it up and
      give everyone a short "capsule bio" of John Murray).

      Regards,

      Tom S.