Actions around Corinth, May 28, 1862

  • Ray Todd Knight
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
      Hi

      I recently read a thread on an Arkansas Civil War board concerning
      Cleburne's Brigade and it's actions covering the retreat from Corinth
      on May 28, 1862 known as " the Shelton House engagement".
      I've also recently read the Civil War Diary of James J Womack, captain
      of Company E, 16th TN Infantry. In it he refers to an engagement on
      May 28, 1862 while covering the retreat from Corinth, around the
      "Chambers House", in which a relative of mine was killed. the diary of
      Thomas Hoooper, Co A, 16th TN also refers to the engagement around the
      Chambers House.
      http://www.civilwarhistory.com/_/Thomas%20R_%20Hooper%20Diary.htm
      Where these two engagements seperate actions or the same? Also I have
      read that parts of the Orphan Brigade including Cobb's Battery were
      involved in rear-guard actions during the retreat from Corinth. Was
      this a different action too?
      Thanks for any info

      Todd
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2004
        In a message dated 2/6/2004 12:44:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, rayknight@... writes:
        I recently read a thread on an Arkansas Civil War board concerning
        Cleburne's Brigade and it's actions covering the retreat from Corinth
        on May 28, 1862 known as " the Shelton House engagement".
        I've also recently read the Civil War Diary of James J Womack, captain
        of Company E, 16th TN Infantry. In it he refers to an engagement on
        May 28, 1862 while covering the retreat from Corinth, around the
        "Chambers House", in which a relative of mine was killed. the diary of
        Thomas Hoooper, Co A, 16th TN also refers to the engagement around the
        Chambers House.
        I cannot find anything about an engagement at the Chamber's House or the
        Shelton House.   The only house I can find mention of is the Russel House which Sherman attacked on his way to Corinth.  On the 28th of May, Confederate troops were still in force in Corinth, however on that date, they had sent the last of the sick and wounded off in trains.  They began their evacuation march at ten o'clock in the evening on the 29th of May.  (Source:  Sherman and His Campaigns, Bowman, 1865).  It was Gnrl M.L. Smith that was ordered by Sherman to follow the retreating Confederates on the Ripley Road.  He followed them to the Tuscumbia River.  In the Confederates withdrawl,  they did not relieve the pickets and when they were captured in the morning by Federal troops, they had no idea that their army had withdrawn. (Ibid).

        JEJ
      • William H Keene
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2004
          There was a number of skirmishes and actions involved in the 'seige'
          of Corinth. The units you mention were each from different Corps --
          Cleburne's Bgde was part of Hardee's, Orphan Bgde was part of
          Breckinridge's, and 16th TN was part of Polk's -- so its unlikely
          they were fighting along side each other.

          Beauregard decided he was going to evacuate Corinth after his planned
          counterattack on May 26 was called off because of Van Dorn's
          bungling. He needed to hold the enemy back until he could move out
          the supplies, sick, etc, so he needed to keep a strong front to the
          enemy for a few days. Coincidentally, Halleck gave an order for a
          general advance of US forces to occur on May 28. The result was
          action at a number of places along the line. On the Union right
          Sherman maneuvered 5 brigades to seize a fortified block house. In
          the center Nelson's Division pushed forward with heavy skirmishing.
          Cleburne was probably facing Nelson. The 16th TN may have been on
          Sherman's right since I have seen a house marked Chambers in that
          area on one map.

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Todd Knight"
          <rayknight@c...> wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > I recently read a thread on an Arkansas Civil War board concerning
          > Cleburne's Brigade and it's actions covering the retreat from
          Corinth
          > on May 28, 1862 known as " the Shelton House engagement".
          > I've also recently read the Civil War Diary of James J Womack,
          captain
          > of Company E, 16th TN Infantry. In it he refers to an engagement on
          > May 28, 1862 while covering the retreat from Corinth, around the
          > "Chambers House", in which a relative of mine was killed. the diary
          of
          > Thomas Hoooper, Co A, 16th TN also refers to the engagement around
          the
          > Chambers House.
          > http://www.civilwarhistory.com/_/Thomas%20R_%20Hooper%20Diary.htm
          > Where these two engagements seperate actions or the same? Also I
          have
          > read that parts of the Orphan Brigade including Cobb's Battery were
          > involved in rear-guard actions during the retreat from Corinth. Was
          > this a different action too?
          > Thanks for any info
          >
          > Todd
        • Ray Todd Knight
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 9, 2004
            Thanks for the reply. That answered my question

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@y...>
            wrote:
            > There was a number of skirmishes and actions involved in the 'seige'
            > of Corinth. The units you mention were each from different Corps --
            > Cleburne's Bgde was part of Hardee's, Orphan Bgde was part of
            > Breckinridge's, and 16th TN was part of Polk's -- so its unlikely
            > they were fighting along side each other.
            >
            > Beauregard decided he was going to evacuate Corinth after his planned
            > counterattack on May 26 was called off because of Van Dorn's
            > bungling. He needed to hold the enemy back until he could move out
            > the supplies, sick, etc, so he needed to keep a strong front to the
            > enemy for a few days. Coincidentally, Halleck gave an order for a
            > general advance of US forces to occur on May 28. The result was
            > action at a number of places along the line. On the Union right
            > Sherman maneuvered 5 brigades to seize a fortified block house. In
            > the center Nelson's Division pushed forward with heavy skirmishing.
            > Cleburne was probably facing Nelson. The 16th TN may have been on
            > Sherman's right since I have seen a house marked Chambers in that
            > area on one map.
          • William H Keene
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 9, 2004
              After doing a little aditional research I want to add to my reply.

              On page 33 of Volume 52, part1, of the Official Records (this volume
              contains material collected to late to appear in the regular volumes)
              is Cleburne's report. This indicates that Cleburne may have been
              more to the Confederate right facing Pope's army near Farmington.

              On page 36 of the same volume is the report of Col Moore of the 8th
              TN. From the context of his report I think he was part of the same
              action as the 16th TN as they were both part of the same brigade
              under Gen. Donelson.

              Also, I should note that the Union advance in the center was not just
              by Nelson's division but also by McCook and Crittenden.

            • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 9, 2004
                In a message dated 2/9/2004 11:08:35 AM Eastern Standard Time, wh_keene@... writes:
                On the Union right
                Sherman maneuvered 5 brigades to seize a fortified block house.
                This would be the Russel House that I mentioned in a previous post

                JEJ