Re: The Blockade

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 5, 2004
      Don't you think it more likely that the offloading would take place
      at some place like Pascagoula (at the mouth of the river), Biloxi,
      Mississippi City or Pass Christian rather than on the islands? All
      those spots would have had some port facilities.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
      <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
      > <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...>
      wrote:
      > > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"

      > > > navigable
      > > rail
      > > >
      > > > Were there facilities in place on the barrier islands for cargo
      > > > transfer? Workers, lifts, ramps, carts, etc.?
      > >
      > > I believe Round Island, Ship Island, and the port
      > > at the mouth of the Pascagoula River all had this
      > > capability.
      >

      > Cat Island (the barrier island closest to New Orleans) had been
      used
      > as a rendezvous point for troops involved in the Cuban
      filibusters.
      > Three vessels were contracted to move these recruits from Cat
      Island
      > to Round Island to prepare for the invasion in 1850. I'm not sure
      if
      > it had the same sort of port facilities, but it appears to have had
      > some form of deep water port.
    • Robert (Bob) Taubman
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 9, 2004
        "In Armageddon's Shadow, The Civil War and Canada's Maritime Provinces", by
        Greg Marquis, of St. Mary's University in Halifax, is a good source of
        information on blockade running. (ISBN 0-7735-1792-8)

        Bob Taubman