Re: The Blockade

  • slippymississippi
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 5, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
      <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
      > > <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > One alternative I forgot about: the Pearl River system was
      > > navigable
      > > > by riverboat to Jackson, so cargo potentially could have been
      > > > offloaded at the barrier islands and taken by riverboat to the
      > rail
      > > > terminus there.
      > >
      > > Were there facilities in place on the barrier islands for cargo
      > > transfer? Workers, lifts, ramps, carts, etc.?
      >
      > I believe Round Island, Ship Island, and the port
      > at the mouth of the Pascagoula River all had this
      > capability.

      Cat Island (the barrier island closest to New Orleans) had been used
      as a rendezvous point for troops involved in the Cuban filibusters.
      Three vessels were contracted to move these recruits from Cat Island
      to Round Island to prepare for the invasion in 1850. I'm not sure if
      it had the same sort of port facilities, but it appears to have had
      some form of deep water port.
    • Robert (Bob) Taubman
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 9, 2004
        "In Armageddon's Shadow, The Civil War and Canada's Maritime Provinces", by
        Greg Marquis, of St. Mary's University in Halifax, is a good source of
        information on blockade running. (ISBN 0-7735-1792-8)

        Bob Taubman