Re: The Blockade

  • slippymississippi
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 5, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John Beatty <jdbeatty.geo@y...>
      wrote:
      > >The barrier islands off the coast of Mississippi had
      > deep water access, as did the Pascagoula River. The
      > Pascagoula River was navigable by barge to within
      > reasonable distance of Meridian and Mobile, IIRC.
      >
      > They did, yes, but without rail communications they
      > had limited value as supply points.

      Sure, but Meridian and Mobile both had rail connections. The
      Escatawpa River in the Pascagoula basin is easily navigable to within
      15 miles of Mobile. The Chickasawhay River appears to be navigable
      by barge to within 20 miles of Meridian. In addition, light draft
      vessels could ferry cargo from the barrier islands to New Orleans via
      Lake Ponchartrain. The occupation of the fort at Ship Island and
      subsequent blockade of the area appear to have put a stop to this
      sort of traffic: the system of lighthouses up the Pascagoula River
      ceased to operate afterward.
    • Robert (Bob) Taubman
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 9, 2004
        "In Armageddon's Shadow, The Civil War and Canada's Maritime Provinces", by
        Greg Marquis, of St. Mary's University in Halifax, is a good source of
        information on blockade running. (ISBN 0-7735-1792-8)

        Bob Taubman