Re: The Blockade

  • slippymississippi
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 4, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John Beatty <jdbeatty.geo@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- hank9174 <clarkc@m...> wrote:
      > > None in Virginia, Wilmington in NC, Charleston SC,
      > > Savannah GA,
      > > Jacksonville and Pensacola FL, Mobile AL, New
      > > Orleans LA and
      > > Galveston TX.
      >
      > The only ports that were at all useful to the
      > Confederacy for large-scale traffic were those that
      > were connected by railroad. Your list covers 8, and I
      > believe there were nine of them.

      The barrier islands off the coast of Mississippi had deep water
      access, as did the Pascagoula River. The Pascagoula River was
      navigable by barge to within reasonable distance of Meridian and
      Mobile, IIRC.
    • Robert (Bob) Taubman
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 9, 2004
        "In Armageddon's Shadow, The Civil War and Canada's Maritime Provinces", by
        Greg Marquis, of St. Mary's University in Halifax, is a good source of
        information on blockade running. (ISBN 0-7735-1792-8)

        Bob Taubman