Re: The Blockade

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 4, 2004
      My thoguhts on the subject:

      - Initially there were ports in Virginia that needed closing such as
      Norfolk and Richmond. The capture of Norfolk and the blockade of the
      James River and Chesepeake Bay closed Virginia.

      - North Carolina included more ports than just Wilmington becuase of
      the various ports in Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds (ie: New Berne,
      Plymouth, Washington). Even with the capture of Ft Hatteras and the
      Burnside expedition the navy had to cover that area.

      - In addition to Charleston, the South Carolina coast features minor
      ports such as Georgetown and Coosawatchie. The caputre of Hilton
      Head and Beaufort controlled the later. I don't know if the former
      amounted to much at the time.

      - The main ports on the Georgia coast were Savannah, Darien, and
      Brunswick.

      - On the Atlantic side of Florida was Jacksonville while on the Gulf
      side was Cedar Keys and Pensacola, all three at railheads. I believe
      the Navy also blockaded Tampa.

      - Alabama had Mobile.

      - The Mississippi coast includes Mississippi City and Biloxi, minor
      ports at the time with no rail connections.

      - New Orleans was a major port for the confederacy at the start of
      the war. Brashear City was a secondary port. The capture of both
      closed them. I think small draft boats could get to Lake Charles.

      - In Texas there was Sabine City/Port Arthur, Galveston/Houston,
      Indianola, Corpus Christi, and Brownsville.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

      > The blockade is typically thought of as a ring of iron and wood
      > choking the foreign commerce of the Confederacy. On further
      > reflection it appears that their are relatively FEW ports in the
      CSA
      > that need to closed.
      >
      > None in Virginia, Wilmington in NC, Charleston SC, Savannah GA,
      > Jacksonville and Pensacola FL, Mobile AL, New Orleans LA and
      > Galveston TX.
      >
      > There are numerous inlets and bays along the coast for temporary
      > hiding spots but not for loading and unloading and my list seems
      > rather short. Are there other major points of entry that the USA
      was
      > concerned with?
      >

      > HankC
    • Robert (Bob) Taubman
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 9, 2004
        "In Armageddon's Shadow, The Civil War and Canada's Maritime Provinces", by
        Greg Marquis, of St. Mary's University in Halifax, is a good source of
        information on blockade running. (ISBN 0-7735-1792-8)

        Bob Taubman