RE: [civilwarwest] The Blockade

  • tmix
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 4, 2004
      Norfolk, VA. ?

      -----Original Message-----
      From: John Beatty [mailto:jdbeatty.geo@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 12:32 PM
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] The Blockade

      The only ports that were at all useful to the
      Confederacy for large-scale traffic were those that
      were connected by railroad. Your list covers 8, and I
      believe there were nine of them.

      --- hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

      > The blockade is typically thought of as a ring of
      > iron and wood
      > choking the foreign commerce of the Confederacy. On
      > further
      > reflection it appears that their are relatively FEW
      > ports in the CSA
      > that need to closed.
      >
      > None in Virginia, Wilmington in NC, Charleston SC,
      > Savannah GA,
      > Jacksonville and Pensacola FL, Mobile AL, New
      > Orleans LA and
      > Galveston TX.
      >
      > There are numerous inlets and bays along the coast
      > for temporary
      > hiding spots but not for loading and unloading and
      > my list seems
      > rather short. Are there other major points of entry
      > that the USA was
      > concerned with?
      >

      > HankC

      =====

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Robert (Bob) Taubman
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 9, 2004
        "In Armageddon's Shadow, The Civil War and Canada's Maritime Provinces", by
        Greg Marquis, of St. Mary's University in Halifax, is a good source of
        information on blockade running. (ISBN 0-7735-1792-8)

        Bob Taubman