The Blockade

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 4, 2004
      The blockade is typically thought of as a ring of iron and wood
      choking the foreign commerce of the Confederacy. On further
      reflection it appears that their are relatively FEW ports in the CSA
      that need to closed.

      None in Virginia, Wilmington in NC, Charleston SC, Savannah GA,
      Jacksonville and Pensacola FL, Mobile AL, New Orleans LA and
      Galveston TX.

      There are numerous inlets and bays along the coast for temporary
      hiding spots but not for loading and unloading and my list seems
      rather short. Are there other major points of entry that the USA was
      concerned with?

      HankC
    • Robert (Bob) Taubman
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 9, 2004
        "In Armageddon's Shadow, The Civil War and Canada's Maritime Provinces", by
        Greg Marquis, of St. Mary's University in Halifax, is a good source of
        information on blockade running. (ISBN 0-7735-1792-8)

        Bob Taubman