Jeff Davis and help for Missouri

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2004
      If I can get to it, will post Brooksher's account of Lyon vs Jackson
      1861.
      In the meantime, I found the bit on Davis I had mentioned in an
      earlier post.
      Pages 95 and 96, BLOODY HILL:
      "[approx. June 1861] [The two Missouri representatives] decided they would
      again beseech Davis for Confederate support. Together, they ... laid
      before him all the reasons why the Confederacy shuld move with
      alacrity to Missouri's assistance. Davis listened to their appeal, and
      then, in a grim voice, reminded them that Jackson, at the ill-fated
      St. Louis meeting with Lyon, had offered to drive the Confederate
      troops out of the state if they crossed the border. [Jackson was
      attempting to mollify Lyon with a stance on 'armed neutrality, a ruse
      in my opinion]. To [Davis], that amounted to at least disloyalty, which
      offended this man who prized loyalty above all else. Furthermore, he
      reminded the supplicants, at the very time the Missouri governor was
      doing this, he was asking for support. In short, the Confederate
      president was ... accusing their governor of dishonesty, disloyalty,
      and duplicity. Both men hurriedly and earnestly assured him that all
      such activity had ceased. Jackson and Price were now fully committed
      to the Confederacy and were no longer [seeking] an accommodation with
      Union officials. Despite their protestations, Davis remained unmoved.
      He refused them the desired support."

      Amazing stupidity, if you ask me.
      Carl