Re: [civilwarwest] War Order - 1864

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 28, 2004
      In a message dated 1/26/2004 9:39:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, clarkc@... writes:

      The general commanding directs
      that you cause four of them to be shot nine miles from Bardstown,
      Ky., in the retaliation for the murder of two negroes. The general
      commanding also directs that you cause the other four to be shot at
      Midway, Ky., in retaliation for the recent murder of Mr. Harper of
      that place.

      I do not know if these are the same events that is told on a historical marker just off I-75 about 25 miles south of Covington, KY.  The marker tells of the execution of Confederate prisoners in reprisal for deaths of Unionists.  (I'll have to look through some old photos and scan the ones I took of the marker someday)  Apparently, this General Orders 59,  series 1864 believed in "An Eye for an Eye,  A Tooth for a Tooth"

      JEJ