Generals

  • Gary/Audrey Ford
    Message 1 of 143 , Jan 11, 2001
      Hi
          I am new to this site and have been following the letters on Generals with interest.  We should start off by noting that only about 40% of the generals on both sides were from the USMA.  About a third of all generals had no previous military experience at all.  Of the west pointers only about half were on active service when the war started most with less than ten years service and some even still cadets at the Point.  It is worth noting that virtually all of the senior commanders-Corps and above - were from the Point.   What is amazing is not how ineffectual some were but rather how effective most became as the war went on.

      Gary
    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 143 of 143 , Apr 28, 2008
        Part II of "What hath Kilpatrick Wrought" is up.  Enjoy!

        Harry