Re: [civilwarwest] NEW THREAD : A question for the ignorant..

  • carole d hanson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
      OK, Sam, I can't be the only ignorant one out here -- What is the name of your book?  Carole
      On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 17:23:32 EST SDE80@... writes:
      In a message dated 1/1/04 4:24:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, DPowell334@... writes:

      Now, I will agree that Cleburne showed evidence, by the time of Missionary Ridge and after, that he would make a fine Corps commander - at one point he was in charge of 8 brigades, and that without benefit of subordinate divisional commanders. But I think he remained a cipher for Army command, despite the exuberent claims of his supporters.

      Whenever anyone goes overboard on Cleburne, I enjoy posting the following from OR 38(5):892:

      ATLANTA, July 19, 1864.
      JAMES A. SEDDON,
      Secretary of War:
      I need a commander for my old corps. I have assigned Major-General Cheatham to it, although he did not desire it. I have no major-general in that corps whom I deem Suitable for the position, and it was Hardee's opinion that Cheatham was the best man at my disposal, my corps commanders concurring also. It is my opinion that if the Department has no more fitting person in view and no strong objection thereto, that Major-General Mansfield Lovell might be assigned here for the purpose, to the great advantage of this army. If a lieutenant-general to be appointed and sent to me, I know of no one that I would prefer to Maj. Gen. Wade Hampton or S. D. Lee.
      J. B. HOOD,
      General.
      -----

      Note that it was Cleburne's sponsor Hardee who recommended Cheatham.

      Thanks for your kind words re Stewart, Dave.   Recent historians seem to be doing better at giving him his due.

      Sam

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
        In a message dated 1/1/04 5:40:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, mr_hanson@... writes:

        OK, Sam, I can't be the only ignorant one out here -- What is the name of your book?  Carole

        Soldier of Tennessee:  General Alexander P. Stewart and the Civil War in the West.
      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
          In a message dated 1/1/2004 5:49:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, SDE80@... writes:
          Soldier of Tennessee:  General Alexander P. Stewart and the Civil War in the West.
          Hey Sam,
          Don't be so modest.  Give Carole the name of your new book as well  <g>

          JEJ