RE: [civilwarwest] NEW THREAD... Who was the most under rated leader of the C...

  • tmix
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004

      I agree with you Sam. Pat Cleburne was fine division commander but he is not under rated. He gets his fair share of appropriate credit and he earned it. Tom Mix

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DORR64OVI@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 1/1/2004 11:42:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > davidowens24@y... writes:

        > I dont think Zollicoffer's record at Mill Springs qualifies him as
        an
        > underated leader.
        >
        > Kent Dorr

        So understated.

        Norris
      • DPowell334@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004
          In a message dated 1/1/2004 12:06:07 PM Central Standard Time, tmix@... writes:

          I agree with you Sam. Pat Cleburne was fine division commander but he is not under rated. He gets his fair share of appropriate credit and he earned it. Tom Mix

          And then some, perhaps. There are certain figures that are so heavily romanticized these days that reality is hard to perceive. I have seen folks argue that Cleburne should have been given Corps, even army command in early 1863, when he was still a brigadier. in charge of a division.

          Now, I will agree that Cleburne showed evidence, by the time of Missionary Ridge and after, that he would make a fine Corps commander - at one point he was in charge of 8 brigades, and that without benefit of subordinate divisional commanders. But I think he remained a cipher for Army command, despite the exuberent claims of his supporters.

          Consider the opposite - had Hood died of his wounds at Chickamauga, I bet that we would have 100 years of literature bemoaning his untimely loss and how he would have been the Army commander who could have saved Atlanta, had he lived:) His experience at divisional and army command were pretty good up to then, even spectacular, given the breakthru at Chickamauga on the 20th.

          Dave Powell
        • DPowell334@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004
            In a message dated 1/1/2004 12:00:51 PM Central Standard Time, tmix@... writes:

            I will have to cast a vote for Frank Cheatham. I may pick one for the North too but I need to think on that some.  Tom M.

            Sam Elliot's Book has largely convinced me that Alex P. Stewart is the guy for the South.

            In the North, I'd like to nominate a couple of names, both of whom were involved in notorious 'incidents' that largely obscured the rest of their service - Jefferson C. Davis and Thomas J. Wood.

            Dave Powell
          • SDE80@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004
              In a message dated 1/1/04 4:24:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, DPowell334@... writes:

              Now, I will agree that Cleburne showed evidence, by the time of Missionary Ridge and after, that he would make a fine Corps commander - at one point he was in charge of 8 brigades, and that without benefit of subordinate divisional commanders. But I think he remained a cipher for Army command, despite the exuberent claims of his supporters.

              Whenever anyone goes overboard on Cleburne, I enjoy posting the following from OR 38(5):892:

              ATLANTA, July 19, 1864.
              JAMES A. SEDDON,
              Secretary of War:
              I need a commander for my old corps. I have assigned Major-General Cheatham to it, although he did not desire it. I have no major-general in that corps whom I deem Suitable for the position, and it was Hardee's opinion that Cheatham was the best man at my disposal, my corps commanders concurring also. It is my opinion that if the Department has no more fitting person in view and no strong objection thereto, that Major-General Mansfield Lovell might be assigned here for the purpose, to the great advantage of this army. If a lieutenant-general to be appointed and sent to me, I know of no one that I would prefer to Maj. Gen. Wade Hampton or S. D. Lee.
              J. B. HOOD,
              General.
              -----

              Note that it was Cleburne's sponsor Hardee who recommended Cheatham.

              Thanks for your kind words re Stewart, Dave.   Recent historians seem to be doing better at giving him his due.

              Sam
            • tmix
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004

                Sam,

                Stewart is beginning to get some of the credit due him but you started it all with your book. He was an excellent General as is your book.  Tom Mix

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • SDE80@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004
                  In a message dated 1/1/04 5:29:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:

                  Stewart is beginning to get some of the credit due him but you started it all with your book. He was an excellent General as is your book.  Tom Mix

                  I'm not sure it started with me, but I appreciate your kind words, Tom.

                  Sam Elliott
                • LWhite64@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004
                    I agree about Cleburne, he does get a lot of attention, and could hardly be called under rated.  I would go with AP Stewart and William Hazen.  I would also like to ask who everyone would say is over rated?  I would say WJ Hardee and NB Forrest.

                    Lee
                  • George Hall
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004
                      What book is this? I'm too new to know. Thanks.
                      George

                      http://photos.yahoo.com/
                    • carole d hanson
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004
                        Since Sam is apparently too modest to post his literary accomplishments, I will.  He has published two books: "Soldier of Tennessee: General Alexander P. Stewart and the Civil War in the West."  The softcover copy is being released in February, and there are hardcopy copies available through Amazon.  The other book is "Doctor Quintard, Chaplain CSA and Second Bishop of  Tennessee: The Memoir and Civil War Diary of Charles Todd Quintard which came out in hardcover in July 2003. Carole

                        --- tmix <tmix@...> wrote:
                        > Sam,
                        >
                        > Stewart is beginning to get some of the credit due
                        > him but you started
                        > it all with your book. He was an excellent General
                        > as is your book.  Tom
                        > Mix

                        http://photos.yahoo.com/

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        click here

                      • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004
                          In a message dated 1/1/2004 4:28:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, DPowell334@... writes:

                          In the North, I'd like to nominate a couple of names, both of whom were involved in notorious 'incidents' that largely obscured the rest of their service - Jefferson C. Davis and Thomas J. Wood.

                          Dave Powell

                          Dave...you are absolutely on target with both those choices, especially T.J. Wood.  He is an interesting individual and of course, carries the stigma of his petulant behavior at Chickamauga.  Anyone know anything of his postwar life?  Supposedly, he was involved in some shady business deal later but I dont know if this was true or part of the postwar memoir sniping among his peers.  I think hes buried at West Point.

                          Kent Dorr
                        • DPowell334@AOL.COM
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004
                            In a message dated 1/1/2004 8:31:26 PM Central Standard Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:

                            Dave...you are absolutely on target with both those choices, especially T.J. Wood.  He is an interesting individual and of course, carries the stigma of his petulant behavior at Chickamauga.  Anyone know anything of his postwar life?  Supposedly, he was involved in some shady business deal later but I dont know if this was true or part of the postwar memoir sniping among his peers.  I think hes buried at West Point.

                            Kent Dorr

                            I know little of his post war career, except that he was on the board of Visitors at West Point, and is indeed buried there. I have a great deal of correspondence between him and Emerson Opdyke relating to his defense of his actions at Chickamauga, all of it very interesting in a CYA kinda way.

                            Dave Powell
                          • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004
                              In a message dated 1/1/2004 9:41:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, DPowell334@... writes:

                              I know little of his post war career, except that he was on the board of Visitors at West Point, and is indeed buried there. I have a great deal of correspondence between him and Emerson Opdyke relating to his defense of his actions at Chickamauga, all of it very interesting in a CYA kinda way.

                              Dave Powell

                              I know he died in Dayton Ohio but somewhere I remember hearing or reading that he disappeared for a time following a bad business deal or fraud.  I think this information was offered by a fellow officer postwar who was making a point about Wood's character.
                                  My memory (or lack) tells me that both Wood and Opdycke were in agreement about Chickamauga but others disputed their version.  Id be interested to read the correspondence, if available.

                              Kent Dorr

                              BTW, is anyone familar with the recent book of Opdykes writings?
                            • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
                                In a message dated 1/1/2004 9:41:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, DPowell334@... writes:
                                I know little of his post war career, except that he was on the board of Visitors at West Point, and is indeed buried there. I have a great deal of correspondence between him and Emerson Opdyke relating to his defense of his actions at Chickamauga, all of it very interesting in a CYA kinda way.
                                He was active in Officers of the Commandery-In-Chief as Vice Commander for Ohio between 1889 -1893.  Wood testified before the House of Representatives on January 28, 1867, about his experiences as Military Commander of the “Department” of Missisisipi, and about conditions there during the Reconstruction.  Other than that, not too much is found.

                                JEJ.
                              • DPowell334@AOL.COM
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
                                  In a message dated 1/1/2004 9:31:51 PM Central Standard Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:

                                  I know he died in Dayton Ohio but somewhere I remember hearing or reading that he disappeared for a time following a bad business deal or fraud.  I think this information was offered by a fellow officer postwar who was making a point about Wood's character.
                                     My memory (or lack) tells me that both Wood and Opdycke were in agreement about Chickamauga but others disputed their version.  Id be interested to read the correspondence, if available.

                                  Opdyke's Wartime correspondence has just been published. The papers are at the Ohio Historical Society, and on microfilm, so you can ILL them if you want. The Ohio Historical society lends at $3 per reel.

                                  As a member of Wood's division, Opdyke was very sympathetic to Wood's cause. After the war Rosecrans and his partisans tried to pin the blame on Wood for obeying the order. Wood, naturally enough, refused to take the blame. Wood wrote to Opdyke a lot about Mollus matters and such, and several times they discussed the Order in their correspondance. Frankly, I was surprised and happy to see how much of Wood's side of the story emerges in Opdyke's Papers.

                                  There is also supposed to be a speech given by Wood at USMA that casts some light on the order, but I have never found that.

                                  Dave Powell