RE: [civilwarwest] Re: What do you think of...John Pemberton ??

  • tmix
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 6, 2003

      The Buck Stops With The Commander In Chief. He is the highest echelon of the chain that issued the orders. That was Davis not JEJ.

      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 11, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
        wrote:
        > By that logic, (and to invoke as a point of reference that theater-
        > that-shall-not-be-mentioned) Abraham Lincoln was responsible for
        > Fredericksburg (First).

        Dave;

        I'll agree with that statement. When Burnside got command of the
        AOP, over his objections, it was with a clear understanding that a
        winter campaign was required. Given this logic, Lincoln was
        responsible for 1st Bull Run too.

        James2044