Re: [civilwarwest] Re: What do you think of...John Pemberton ??

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 6, 2003
      In a message dated 12/6/2003 3:29:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, james2044@... writes:
      I agree Davis and Johnston were wrong in sending mixed signals BUT
      Pemberton was right in obeying Davis.
      If this be true, then Davis was responsible for the loss of Confederate lives, the loss of Pemberton's army, and the hardship those civilians suffered during the seige, not Pemberton.   You do not break the chain of command.

      JEJ
    • james2044
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 11, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
        wrote:
        > By that logic, (and to invoke as a point of reference that theater-
        > that-shall-not-be-mentioned) Abraham Lincoln was responsible for
        > Fredericksburg (First).

        Dave;

        I'll agree with that statement. When Burnside got command of the
        AOP, over his objections, it was with a clear understanding that a
        winter campaign was required. Given this logic, Lincoln was
        responsible for 1st Bull Run too.

        James2044