Re: Cold Mountain

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2003
      Responding to several comments, I liked the book and, like Hank, might not do justice
      saying why. Would certainly like to see more from the author. Certainly there was a
      curiosity factor in buying the book, to see just how a modern treatment of Confederate
      Soldier as Protagonist might be; it previously seemed taboo to do so with a major publisher.
      Of course Inman is a deserter, but late in the war after putting in full service as a soldier for
      his country. And I would have to say the author does not portray him as a guilt-filled penitent,
      but more as a worn-out-on-war and ain't-going-back-after-being-wounded veteran.
      -James, it's not a chick-book, I wouldnt say. The movie might be, tho, you may prove right;
      but it sounds like it will start out as a war *movie* [if Lee White is right about the beginning],
      and I would say in many ways it is not a civil war *book*. It wouldnt be the first war movie to
      have only a bit of combat shown [always the most expensive part to produce]
      -as far as fit for discussion here, not much in the book I'd say. I wonder about the men who
      rounded up deserters and draft-dodgers. They were portrayed as being cruel in the extreme,
      finally just becoming interested in rounding up people and killing them, it seems. Was this
      accurate? will it be in the movie?
      -And now we must hear Madelon's opinion.
      Carl