Re: What do you think of...John Pemberton ??

  • virginia_cajun
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 5, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "north_carolina_26th" <
      north_carolina_26th@y...> wrote:

      IMHO, he was neither traitor nor coward but a walking example of the "Peter
      Principle." His training and experience did not prepare him for the arduous
      and thankless job to which he was assigned. His "friend" Jeff Davis did him no
      favors by sending him to Vicksburg and then failing to follow a clear policy or
      line of command in the region.
    • james2044
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 11, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
        wrote:
        > By that logic, (and to invoke as a point of reference that theater-
        > that-shall-not-be-mentioned) Abraham Lincoln was responsible for
        > Fredericksburg (First).

        Dave;

        I'll agree with that statement. When Burnside got command of the
        AOP, over his objections, it was with a clear understanding that a
        winter campaign was required. Given this logic, Lincoln was
        responsible for 1st Bull Run too.

        James2044