RE: [civilwarwest] Re: What do you think of...John Pemberton ??

  • tmix
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 4, 2003

      Gen. Joe,

      For what it’s worth, I also agree. You may win a war with out a city or even a river, but not with out an army.

      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 11, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
        wrote:
        > By that logic, (and to invoke as a point of reference that theater-
        > that-shall-not-be-mentioned) Abraham Lincoln was responsible for
        > Fredericksburg (First).

        Dave;

        I'll agree with that statement. When Burnside got command of the
        AOP, over his objections, it was with a clear understanding that a
        winter campaign was required. Given this logic, Lincoln was
        responsible for 1st Bull Run too.

        James2044