Re: [civilwarwest] Re: What do you think of...John Pemberton ??

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 4, 2003
      In a message dated 12/4/2003 8:36:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, wh_keene@... writes:
      I think its unfair
      and insulting to call him a traitor (to the CSA) or coward.

      -Will
      In no way was Pemberton a coward or a traitor to the CSA.  Misguided and weak in ways., Yes   A commander that was persuaded by subordinates rather than following orders from his immediate superior, Yes   Most of all, IMO, he was a fool to listen to Davis, whether he was President and CIC or not, to get himself cornered with no way out and thus losing his army.

      JEJ
    • james2044
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 11, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
        wrote:
        > By that logic, (and to invoke as a point of reference that theater-
        > that-shall-not-be-mentioned) Abraham Lincoln was responsible for
        > Fredericksburg (First).

        Dave;

        I'll agree with that statement. When Burnside got command of the
        AOP, over his objections, it was with a clear understanding that a
        winter campaign was required. Given this logic, Lincoln was
        responsible for 1st Bull Run too.

        James2044