Re: [civilwarwest] Re: cold mountain movie

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 4, 2003
      In a message dated 12/4/03 8:43:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, james2044@... writes:

      A few mins of battle

      Yeah, but from what I have heard its a few minutes of the most accurate battle that has yet to be filmed on the Civil War.  Soldiers of the right age, right weight, wearing the right clothing for once, and using the right tactics.

      Lee
    • david owens
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
        The first Union victory of the the Civil War was a now overlooked battle in Kentucky on October 21, 1861 were General Felix Zollicoffer's East Tennessee brigade consisting of the 11th,17th,19th,20th & 29th Tennessee Infantry, 15th Mississippi Infantry, 1st,2nd, & 3rd Tennessee Cavalry, and Rutledge's battery were defeated by General George H. Thomas's Army of the Cumberland-thus turning back the spearhead of the Confederate invasion of Kentucky via the Cumberland Gap in the fall of 1861-this denied the Confederacy a foothold in Kentucky when crucial political events were shaping Kentucky 's role in the war-also it was really the only time the Confederacy had an open window for foreign intervention-the loss at Camp Wildcat shut that door-Zollicoffer armed with extra muskets & uniform's was ordered by General Johnson to go to Lexington, Kentucky-heart of a strong southern alliance-to rally political & troop support from Kentucky to rally to the southern banner-but he was turned back at Camp Wildcat in the Rockcastle Hills-thus this being one of the three great "what ifs" for the southern cause-had the Confederates marched on Washington after the 1st battle of Bull Run & had Lee turned from Gettysburg and followed Longstreet's advise and took Washington-any of these three may have resulted in a different ending in America's War of Rebellion!

        tmix <tmix@...> wrote:
        With all do respect, you are overlooking one very important thing to go
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003

          If I’m not mistaken, there were some Union victories in Western Virginia prior to this.

          Harry

        • thecoys@kingcon.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
            I would look at Rich Mountain, Va (now West Virginia) as the first Union
            victory. IMHO.

            Respectfully,
            Kevin S. Coy

            david owens wrote:
            > The first Union victory of the the Civil War was a now overlooked battle
            > in Kentucky on October 21, 1861 were General Felix Zollicoffer's East
            > Tennessee brigade consisting of the 11th,17th,19th,20th & 29th Tennessee
            > Infantry, 15th Mississippi Infantry, 1st,2nd, & 3rd Tennessee Cavalry,
            > and Rutledge's battery were defeated by General George H. Thomas's Army
            > of the Cumberland-thus turning back the spearhead of the Confederate
            > invasion of Kentucky via the Cumberland Gap in the fall of 1861-this
            > denied the Confederacy a foothold in Kentucky when crucial political
            > events were shaping Kentucky 's role in the war-also it was really the
            > only time the Confederacy had an open window for foreign
            > intervention-the loss at Camp Wildcat shut that door-Zollicoffer armed
            > with extra muskets & uniform's was ordered by General Johnson to go to
            > Lexington, Kentucky-heart of a strong southern alliance-to rally
            > political & troop support from Kentucky to rally to the southern
            > banner-but he was turned back at Camp Wildcat in the Rockcastle
            > Hills-thus this being one of the three great "what ifs" for the southern
            > cause-had the Confederates marched on Washington after the 1st battle of
            > Bull Run & had Lee turned from Gettysburg and followed Longstreet's
            > advise and took Washington-any of these three may have resulted in a
            > different ending in America's War of Rebellion!
            >
            > tmix <tmix@...> wrote:
            >
            > With all do respect, you are overlooking one very important thing to go

          • Brian Risher
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
              Re: [civilwarwest] The Battle of the West that could have won the war for the Confederacy I believe that is the longest sentence that I have ever read.  Maybe his "." key is messed up.

              Brian

              tmix <tmix@...> wrote:
              With all do respect, you are overlooking one very important thing to go
              Dec 25th release date for this movie. And it doesn't involve the Army of

              Northern Virginia! At least it shouldnt. Not much to go on yet.

              http://www.miramax.com/cold_mountain/

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              !

              Do you Yahoo!?
              Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/slv/mailtag/*http://companion.yahoo.com/>
              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT

            • William H Keene
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
                wrote:
                > If I'm not mistaken, there were some Union victories in Western
                Virginia
                > prior to this.

                And along the coast.

                What is meant by "it was really the only time the Confederacy had an
                open window for foreign intervention"?

                M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmai
                > l/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=244570088>

              • William H Keene
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                  Coincidentally, the battle at Camp Wild Cat that is referred to
                  happened the very same day as the battle at Fredericktown, Missouri,
                  another Union victory.

                  Just as Thomas had sent out a detachment under Garrard and a brigade
                  under Schoepf that did the fighting at Wild Cat (Thomas was not
                  himself actually involved), the same goes for Grant in southeastern
                  Missouri -- he sent out a brigade under Plummer supported by a
                  detachment under Carlin to engage the enemy at Fredericktown.