Re: What do you think of...John Pemberton ??

  • james2044
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 4, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "north_carolina_26th"
      <north_carolina_26th@y...> wrote:
      > Traitor?? coward?? or "Defender Of Vicksburg" ??
      > In my opinion I think he could have done a lot better job
      > defending Vicksburg, but I have to admit I do not know as much
      > about the war in the west as I should, but I am here to learn !!

      Pemberton did what he understood he was ordered to do by President
      Davis, hold his army in Vicksburg. He expected to be "saved" when
      the seige was lifted but it didn't work out that way. The press
      wouldn't allocate blame to Davis or Johnston so Pemberton got it
      all. What he did was silly and he should have pulled his army out
      of Vicksburg and joined Johnston, but that was what he understood
      his orders to be.

      James2044
    • james2044
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 11, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
        wrote:
        > By that logic, (and to invoke as a point of reference that theater-
        > that-shall-not-be-mentioned) Abraham Lincoln was responsible for
        > Fredericksburg (First).

        Dave;

        I'll agree with that statement. When Burnside got command of the
        AOP, over his objections, it was with a clear understanding that a
        winter campaign was required. Given this logic, Lincoln was
        responsible for 1st Bull Run too.

        James2044