Re: What do you think of...John Pemberton ??

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 4, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "north_carolina_26th"
      <north_carolina_26th@y...> wrote:
      > Traitor?? coward?? or "Defender Of Vicksburg" ??
      > In my opinion I think he could have done a lot better job
      > defending Vicksburg, but I have to admit I do not know as much
      > about the war in the west as I should, but I am here to learn !!

      Well you have come to the right place as Pemberton has been a hot
      topic here in the past and there are some knowlegeable types who hang
      around...unless they have worn themselves out with our arguing. One
      of our esteemed members has written some articles about Pemberton and
      the defense of Vicksburg which can be read at:
      http://www.cincinnaticwrt.org/18_days.html
      http://www.cincinnaticwrt.org/jcp.html

      He certainly could have done a better job defending Vicksburg, but
      perfection is a difficult standard to achieve. I think its unfair
      and insulting to call him a traitor (to the CSA) or coward.

      -Will
    • james2044
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 11, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
        wrote:
        > By that logic, (and to invoke as a point of reference that theater-
        > that-shall-not-be-mentioned) Abraham Lincoln was responsible for
        > Fredericksburg (First).

        Dave;

        I'll agree with that statement. When Burnside got command of the
        AOP, over his objections, it was with a clear understanding that a
        winter campaign was required. Given this logic, Lincoln was
        responsible for 1st Bull Run too.

        James2044