Re: What do you think of...John Pemberton ??

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 4, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "north_carolina_26th" <north_carolina_26th@y...> wrote:
      > Traitor??

      Pemberton as traitor is just wrong.

      > coward??

      likewise

      > or "Defender Of Vicksburg" ??

      certainly, since he refused to vacate. But who is calling him that?

      > In my opinion I think he could have done a lot better job
      > defending Vicksburg, but I have to admit I do not know as much
      > about the war in the west as I should, but I am here to learn !!

      Welcome aboard, 26th, Vicksburg is much discussed here. We'll
      never know how Pemberton would have done, IMHO, due to interference
      by Davis and JEJ. Initially, his response to Grant's flanking move was
      militarily sound; after getting input from JEJ, he started to make mistakes.
      Carl

      > Covered In Glory The 26TH
    • james2044
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 11, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
        wrote:
        > By that logic, (and to invoke as a point of reference that theater-
        > that-shall-not-be-mentioned) Abraham Lincoln was responsible for
        > Fredericksburg (First).

        Dave;

        I'll agree with that statement. When Burnside got command of the
        AOP, over his objections, it was with a clear understanding that a
        winter campaign was required. Given this logic, Lincoln was
        responsible for 1st Bull Run too.

        James2044