cold mountain movie

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 4, 2003
      Dec 25th release date for this movie. And it doesn't involve the Army of
      Northern Virginia! At least it shouldnt. Not much to go on yet.

      http://www.miramax.com/cold_mountain/
    • slippymississippi
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 4, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...>
        wrote:
        > Dec 25th release date for this movie. And it doesn't involve the
        > Army of Northern Virginia!

        Yes it does. In fact, the whole story starts in a field hospital in
        Richmond during the Overland Campaign, the main character
        convalescing from a neck wound at Cold Harbor.
      • carlw4514
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 4, 2003
          I think that means we can discuss it here as long as we exclude the first chapter!

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi" <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Dec 25th release date for this movie. And it doesn't involve the
          > > Army of Northern Virginia!
          >
          > Yes it does. In fact, the whole story starts in a field hospital in
          > Richmond during the Overland Campaign, the main character
          > convalescing from a neck wound at Cold Harbor.
        • james2044
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 4, 2003
            It's fiction and it's a "chick flick".
          • LWhite64@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 4, 2003
              Well actually they have changed it some from the book, the movie starts out with the Battle of the Crater.  Inman is wounded in the trench fighting at Petersburg and leaves from there.

              Lee
            • tmix
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 4, 2003
                With all do respect, you are overlooking one very important thing to go
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 4, 2003
                  Tom, is Kidman a positive or a negative? James, how do we know it's a chick-flick?
                  Lee, in case you missed my praise, that History Channel CWC segment on
                  Chickamauga was the best one, IMO, and I'm sure your contribution helped make
                  it so. The one on the Crater was surprisingly good, too, I thought. Wonder if
                  Inman is part of the counter-attack or initial defensive line that "held off an entire Corp."
                  Oops, that's the part we can't discuss.
                  Carl
                • tmix

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 4, 2003
                      wrote:
                      > James, how do we know it's a chick-flick?

                      Carl;

                      What would you call it? A few mins of battle followed by hrs of
                      getting home to his beloved or will he find true love in? Check
                      Amazon for a review of the book.

                      James2044
                    • LWhite64@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 4, 2003
                        In a message dated 12/4/03 8:43:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, james2044@... writes:

                        A few mins of battle

                        Yeah, but from what I have heard its a few minutes of the most accurate battle that has yet to be filmed on the Civil War.  Soldiers of the right age, right weight, wearing the right clothing for once, and using the right tactics.

                        Lee
                      • david owens
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                          The first Union victory of the the Civil War was a now overlooked battle in Kentucky on October 21, 1861 were General Felix Zollicoffer's East Tennessee brigade consisting of the 11th,17th,19th,20th & 29th Tennessee Infantry, 15th Mississippi Infantry, 1st,2nd, & 3rd Tennessee Cavalry, and Rutledge's battery were defeated by General George H. Thomas's Army of the Cumberland-thus turning back the spearhead of the Confederate invasion of Kentucky via the Cumberland Gap in the fall of 1861-this denied the Confederacy a foothold in Kentucky when crucial political events were shaping Kentucky 's role in the war-also it was really the only time the Confederacy had an open window for foreign intervention-the loss at Camp Wildcat shut that door-Zollicoffer armed with extra muskets & uniform's was ordered by General Johnson to go to Lexington, Kentucky-heart of a strong southern alliance-to rally political & troop support from Kentucky to rally to the southern banner-but he was turned back at Camp Wildcat in the Rockcastle Hills-thus this being one of the three great "what ifs" for the southern cause-had the Confederates marched on Washington after the 1st battle of Bull Run & had Lee turned from Gettysburg and followed Longstreet's advise and took Washington-any of these three may have resulted in a different ending in America's War of Rebellion!

                          tmix <tmix@...> wrote:
                          With all do respect, you are overlooking one very important thing to go
                          Dec 25th release date for this movie. And it doesn't involve the Army of

                          Northern Virginia! At least it shouldnt. Not much to go on yet.

                          http://www.miramax.com/cold_mountain/

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          Do you Yahoo!?
                          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                        • Harry Smeltzer
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003

                            If I’m not mistaken, there were some Union victories in Western Virginia prior to this.

                            Harry

                          • thecoys@kingcon.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                              I would look at Rich Mountain, Va (now West Virginia) as the first Union
                              victory. IMHO.

                              Respectfully,
                              Kevin S. Coy

                              david owens wrote:
                              > The first Union victory of the the Civil War was a now overlooked battle
                              > in Kentucky on October 21, 1861 were General Felix Zollicoffer's East
                              > Tennessee brigade consisting of the 11th,17th,19th,20th & 29th Tennessee
                              > Infantry, 15th Mississippi Infantry, 1st,2nd, & 3rd Tennessee Cavalry,
                              > and Rutledge's battery were defeated by General George H. Thomas's Army
                              > of the Cumberland-thus turning back the spearhead of the Confederate
                              > invasion of Kentucky via the Cumberland Gap in the fall of 1861-this
                              > denied the Confederacy a foothold in Kentucky when crucial political
                              > events were shaping Kentucky 's role in the war-also it was really the
                              > only time the Confederacy had an open window for foreign
                              > intervention-the loss at Camp Wildcat shut that door-Zollicoffer armed
                              > with extra muskets & uniform's was ordered by General Johnson to go to
                              > Lexington, Kentucky-heart of a strong southern alliance-to rally
                              > political & troop support from Kentucky to rally to the southern
                              > banner-but he was turned back at Camp Wildcat in the Rockcastle
                              > Hills-thus this being one of the three great "what ifs" for the southern
                              > cause-had the Confederates marched on Washington after the 1st battle of
                              > Bull Run & had Lee turned from Gettysburg and followed Longstreet's
                              > advise and took Washington-any of these three may have resulted in a
                              > different ending in America's War of Rebellion!
                              >
                              > tmix <tmix@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > With all do respect, you are overlooking one very important thing to go

                            • Brian Risher
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                                Re: [civilwarwest] The Battle of the West that could have won the war for the Confederacy I believe that is the longest sentence that I have ever read.  Maybe his "." key is messed up.

                                Brian

                                tmix <tmix@...> wrote:
                                With all do respect, you are overlooking one very important thing to go
                                Dec 25th release date for this movie. And it doesn't involve the Army of

                                Northern Virginia! At least it shouldnt. Not much to go on yet.

                                http://www.miramax.com/cold_mountain/

                                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                !

                                Do you Yahoo!?
                                Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/slv/mailtag/*http://companion.yahoo.com/>
                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT

                              • William H Keene
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > If I'm not mistaken, there were some Union victories in Western
                                  Virginia
                                  > prior to this.

                                  And along the coast.

                                  What is meant by "it was really the only time the Confederacy had an
                                  open window for foreign intervention"?

                                  M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmai
                                  > l/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=244570088>

                                • William H Keene
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                                    Coincidentally, the battle at Camp Wild Cat that is referred to
                                    happened the very same day as the battle at Fredericktown, Missouri,
                                    another Union victory.

                                    Just as Thomas had sent out a detachment under Garrard and a brigade
                                    under Schoepf that did the fighting at Wild Cat (Thomas was not
                                    himself actually involved), the same goes for Grant in southeastern
                                    Missouri -- he sent out a brigade under Plummer supported by a
                                    detachment under Carlin to engage the enemy at Fredericktown.