Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Bearss/Vicksburg/New Book

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 25, 2003
      Hello Jfepperson@...,

      In reference to your comment:

      è  Let's stipulate that Grant is indeed incorrect in his
      è memoirs when he says he could see McClernand's
      è position from his HQ.  How does this make
      è McClernand's actions that day any less censurable?

      Jim,
      My info on VB is buried somewhere around here but IIRC, even some of McClernand's commanders felt that his actions were censurable.  I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason that comes to mind.  Whether Grant could see McClernand's position or not is moot.  It is McClernand's actions that are the question.  From the reports submitted and that are in the OR's, there is definite reason to question his actions.

      JEJ