Re: North Carolina

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2003
      <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
      > There was some success by the Union in seizing and controlling
      > coastal North Carolina. I think there was hope that in the mid-
      1862
      > Burnside was going to be able to cut the rail line around Weldon
      but
      > it never worked out that way.

      This is purely speculation on my part, but I suspect there was not
      much in the way of transportation routes inland to the part of the
      coast that Burnside occupied, either rail or roads. In many ways,
      that part of the state hasn't changed much, it's main products are
      still cotton, peanuts and hogs.

      Wilmington, the major NC port was in the SE and roads and rail ran
      that way from the population centers.

      Even until WWII the NE part of the state was pretty remote from the
      major cities.

      Today the bulk of the visitors to the Sounds and Outer Banks travel
      down from the north through Norfolk.

      Most North Carolinians head SE toward Wilmington...

      HankC