Re: [civilwarwest] North Carolina

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2003
      In a message dated 11/24/2003 6:53:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, turnierwa@... writes:

      I was wondering why North Carolina was never the big battlefield that other
      Middle Atlantic States were.

      It seems to me that there several battles with the last major one at Bentonville,  all fought by Sherman's army.

      JEJ
    • hank9174
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2003
        <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
        > There was some success by the Union in seizing and controlling
        > coastal North Carolina. I think there was hope that in the mid-
        1862
        > Burnside was going to be able to cut the rail line around Weldon
        but
        > it never worked out that way.

        This is purely speculation on my part, but I suspect there was not
        much in the way of transportation routes inland to the part of the
        coast that Burnside occupied, either rail or roads. In many ways,
        that part of the state hasn't changed much, it's main products are
        still cotton, peanuts and hogs.

        Wilmington, the major NC port was in the SE and roads and rail ran
        that way from the population centers.

        Even until WWII the NE part of the state was pretty remote from the
        major cities.

        Today the bulk of the visitors to the Sounds and Outer Banks travel
        down from the north through Norfolk.

        Most North Carolinians head SE toward Wilmington...

        HankC