Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Pea Ridge

  • Daniel F. Giallombardo
    Message 1 of 59 , Nov 5, 2003
                                          James,
          I agree with your assessment of  Hood and Van Dorn's lack of planning, and their expectation-realistic or otherwise-of victory, and of that victory covering a multitude of sins, however, I am somewhat confused by your second paragraph: do we expect too much "command and control?" I'm in agreement if you are speaking of a general knowing the every day affairs of each soldier ; if on the other hand you speak of the need for a general to control things like supply and logistics...it would seem to me, that such are the reasons for a staff. It is the duty of the general to concern himself with every aspect of the life of a soldier, when that includes food, ammo, and sundry supplies. A well fed, well equipped, army moves and fights better than one living on corn. Anyway, that's the view from my basement window.----Dan

      james2044 wrote:

      I don't think that Van Dorn had a plan anymore than Hood did in
      1864.  He expected to win and that would take care of everything
      else.  The errors of ommission and comission on his part are off the
      scale for anyother general.  Stripping your army of food and support
      services in March was only the start.  Wearing the men out with
      forced marches is never a good idea either. Lack of local guides and
      trying to determine the other side's location are requirements.

      I think we expect to much command & control from the 1862 armies.
      Van Dorn did not expect the two wings to be blocked but he never
      established any way to command the second wing either.  Considering
      how Price and McCulloch "worked together" keeping them apart was a
      good idea.  However, McCulloch was not really up to independent
      command of an army and Hebert was not considered 2nd in command.
      Pike should have been left behind.

      James2044

      Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
      No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
      Try Netflix for FREE!
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/xlw.sC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/GmiolB/TM

    • Dan Giallombardo
      Message 59 of 59 , Aug 1, 2005
        Yeah, I know how that goes....Dan

        > In a message dated 7/29/2005 9:33:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        > GnrlJEJohnston@a... writes:
        >
        > Also, wasn't it Curtis that chased Steele over five hundred miles
        across
        > Arkansas. The longest pursuit in the CW.
        >
        > JEJ
        >

        > Delete this post, it was Price that was chased and it was either
        Curtis or