Re: Pea Ridge

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 59 , Nov 5, 2003
      The rapidity of the flanking movement was insane and I guess for that
      reason Curtis was unprepared, something a general should never be. It
      must be said that the Graybacks showed up and fought like hell, worn
      out or not. Presumably stragglers hurt their strengths. And in this
      case the 'omissions and commissions,' as you say, were telling in the
      end.
      -I believe this is the same Hebert that basically was a no-show for
      Corinth, after being given a crucial role. [IIRC] I think you can make
      a case that he did well at Pea Ridge but by the time of Corinth he was
      apparently a drug addict. What a waste.
      Carl
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "james2044" <james2044@h...>
      wrote:
      > I don't think that Van Dorn had a plan anymore than Hood did in
      > 1864. He expected to win and that would take care of everything
      > else. The errors of ommission and comission on his part are off the
      > scale for anyother general. Stripping your army of food and support
      > services in March was only the start. Wearing the men out with
      > forced marches is never a good idea either. Lack of local guides and
      > trying to determine the other side's location are requirements.
      >
      > I think we expect to much command & control from the 1862 armies.
      > Van Dorn did not expect the two wings to be blocked but he never
      > established any way to command the second wing either. Considering
      > how Price and McCulloch "worked together" keeping them apart was a
      > good idea. However, McCulloch was not really up to independent
      > command of an army and Hebert was not considered 2nd in command.
      > Pike should have been left behind.
      >
      > James2044
    • Dan Giallombardo
      Message 59 of 59 , Aug 1 7:39 PM
        Yeah, I know how that goes....Dan

        > In a message dated 7/29/2005 9:33:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        > GnrlJEJohnston@a... writes:
        >
        > Also, wasn't it Curtis that chased Steele over five hundred miles
        across
        > Arkansas. The longest pursuit in the CW.
        >
        > JEJ
        >

        > Delete this post, it was Price that was chased and it was either
        Curtis or