Re: [civilwarwest] Re: I would like to talk about pea ridge

  • elevator650@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
             Carl, i dont think van dorns attack plan was sound because of the fact that he never involved himself outside of price's wing with the happenings of the battle as a commander should.  Whether this was his plan or not he ended up entrusting all the actions at leetown to men who were either killed wounded or captured as happened to mcculloch, mcintosh and others.  He did not have a contingency plan for mcculloch's subordinates or for general pike to follow if things went wrong, and he never should have seperated his forces in the face of the enemy in my opinion.
                   -David
    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
        my comments below yours
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, elevator650@a... wrote:
        > Carl, i dont think van dorns attack plan was sound because
        of the
        > fact that he never involved himself outside of price's wing with the
        happenings
        > of the battle as a commander should.

        good point. Like making sure his supply train had orders!

        >Whether this was his plan or
        not he ended
        > up entrusting all the actions at leetown to men who were either
        killed
        > wounded or captured as happened to mcculloch, mcintosh and others.

        he might have presumed that things were in good hands with McCulloch.
        McCulloch's fate reminds me of AS Johnston.

        >He did not have
        > a contingency plan for mcculloch's subordinates or for general pike
        to follow
        > if things went wrong, and he never should have seperated his forces
        in the
        > face of the enemy in my opinion.

        My opinion has been that the attack at Leetown should have been a
        feint and he should have concentrated his forces on the other end. Had
        he done so all his other mistakes may have been erased. How's that for
        armchair generaling?
        Carl

        > -David
      • Tim Campbell
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
          I live in the ozark region and in march its still in th 40s and the country roads are mud and force marching on these roads would of been slow alowing Curtis to find out. When curtis found out he swong his army around from his entrenchments at little sugar creek. This march was not so great buy allowing to have your supplies 20 miles away. Tacticaly it got around the entrenchments but it was slow alowing the union to take the highground.

          MSN Shopping upgraded for the holidays! Snappier product search...
        • carlw4514
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
            so a case can be made that Van Dorn did not really pull off his
            surprise. Certainly Curtis was able to check him. If the left wing had
            been made stronger, would the check move have been overwhelmed?

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Campbell" <jayhawker61@h...>