Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Duty

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 150 , Oct 21, 2003
      In a message dated 10/21/2003 7:00:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hjs21@... writes:

      Destroy – to injure beyond repair
      Damage –injury or harm that impairs usefulness
      Decimate – to destroy a number or great portion

      All of these fall under the heading of doing the utmost harm possible.  BTW  to Decimate means to reduce by 1/10th  e.g.  his company was decimated    means at least 1/10 of his company was a casualty figure.

      Once again Harry, it is a case of semantics.

      JEJ
    • carlw4514
      Message 150 of 150 , Nov 2, 2003
        conveniently, the below excellent article addresses this issue in
        decisions made in '63. It was not just the CS generals who needed to
        avoid Pyrrhic victories -- in the forbidden zone, unfortunately

        http://www.washtimes.com/civilwar/20031031-074333-9828r.htm

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Peters"
        [...]
        > As with many of the CSA commanders, Pyrrhus also didn't know when
        not
        > to fight. His campaign, against the Romans, saw him destroy two
        > armies at Heraclea and Asculum, but suffered heavy losses in return.

        > This, reputedly, led him to say, "one more such victory and I am
        > lost". As indeed he was.
        >
        > His first duty was to keep his army as an occupying force, not one
        > eventually destroyed by needless heroics. Just as, less numerous
        CSA