Re: [civilwarwest] Vicksburg

  • Mike Yuhas
    Message 1 of 131 , Jan 5, 2001
      Thank you, John

      Mike Yuhas

      john mason wrote:

      > Mike -
      >
      > The long version is "The Vicksburg Campaign" by Ed Bearss, a 3 volume work.
      > A shorter book, but just as good IMHO, is "Grant Wins the War: Decision at
      > Vicksburg" by James R. Arnold. And if you have a copy of Grant's "Memoirs",
      > the account there is not too bad, albeit one sided.
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > John Mason

    • Mike Peters
      Message 131 of 131 , Jun 24, 2010
        Will and Ole,

        Thanks for your replies!

        Mike Peters

        From: keeno2@...
        Sender: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 08:29:48 EDT
        To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Vicksburg - Grabau

        In a message dated 6/23/2010 10:17:42 P.M. Central Daylight Time, wh_keene@yahoo. com writes:
        Enjoyed it very much.  The style is quite different than other campaign studies.  He split each chapter into a US section and a CSA section, discussing the knowledge and decision making for each side.  Compared to other books, he devotes more attention to geography and logistics and less to personalities and anecdotes.
        What he said. Grabau added depth and another dimension to the campaign for Vicksburg. Scads of maps and geological and topographical detail.

        Highly recommended.

        Ole