Re: [civilwarwest] Davis and the West

  • John Beatty
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2003
      >It is of significance, to me, that Jefferson Davis
      had to order the seasoned officer, Johnston, to
      Mississippi eight days after Grant crossed the
      Mississippi to bring aid and counsel to the totally
      inexperienced subordinate, Pemberton.

      Though I can't disagree with anything that's been said
      here (except the concept of "a" weak link), I have to
      ask if Pemberton was so inexperienced, why did he have
      such a crucial command and wasn't relieved flat-out?

      I think part of the answer may be the key to the
      entire "Western Problem:" Davis didn't know how to
      stop multiple attacks from the Union, and in sending
      JEJ west without significant reinforcements he fully
      expected VIcksburg to fall but didn't want to lose a
      better commander than Pemberton.

      =====
      http://shopping.yahoo.com