Davis and Faith in Friendships

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2003
      I apologize for starting a new thread, but Yahoo has been acting in
      an ugly manner this afternoon, and I cannot reply and post.

      Comments below.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel F. Giallombardo"
      <ParrotheadDan@l...> wrote:

      Tom,
      > I agree with what you, but I still feel there was something
      > else: a drive, if you will, left unexplored. I agree the he messed
      > up the West beyond retrieval. It is my personal opinion, and I
      > stress opinion, that Davis put far too much faith in personal
      > friendships, or what he perceived to be friendships, and less in
      > concrete matters. His opinion of the abilities of some of his
      > generals were less than clear, and more like a view through a pair
      > of smeared glasses: one can still see
      > outlines, but the details are not always clearly defined.

      While I agree that Davis bears substantial responsibility for the
      demise of the west, I don't see it as strongly in terms of
      friendship. I think the idea that Bragg and Davis were friends is
      often overplayed; Bragg didn't argue with Davis, tended to his
      department, didn't whine and grip to Richmond, and for this, Davis
      respected him.

      Bragg had other problems - significant ones - as we know.

      I am of the Richard McMurry camp, that Davis had a problem in
      understanding and dealing with various theaters, especially ones that
      became increasingly further away from Richmond.

      If there's one he had little effectual control over, it's the Trans-
      Mississippi. Vicksburg is a close second.

      If you read the correspondence, it's clear that Davis really wanted
      the whole Vicksburg issue to "simply go away." Twould be best if
      Grant and Pemberton would simply shift to Tennessee, and that would
      be one less headache for the nitpicking Davis to deal with.

      Davis was a micro-manager, and micro-managers have trouble balancing
      tasks. They eventually break down.

      The Tennessee situation finally caught up with Davis at Chattanooga.
      If you don't believe he simply wished problems to go away, look at
      his raeaction to the famous situation of the meeting between Davis,
      Longstreet, Bragg, Hill, Buckner et al.

      Dave

      Dave Smith
      Villa Hills, KY