Re: AoNV vs. AoT

  • james2044
    Message 1 of 150 , Oct 14, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
      wrote:
      > A problem with this oversimplification is that Davis was not a
      Virginian,
      > and his wealth was not in Virginia.

      Harry,

      Davis' actions during the war, his time in Washington and his lack
      of intrest in the west all support the idea. The other thing is
      that winning gets you good things, Lee won.

      James2044
    • carlw4514
      Message 150 of 150 , Nov 2, 2003
        conveniently, the below excellent article addresses this issue in
        decisions made in '63. It was not just the CS generals who needed to
        avoid Pyrrhic victories -- in the forbidden zone, unfortunately

        http://www.washtimes.com/civilwar/20031031-074333-9828r.htm

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Peters"
        [...]
        > As with many of the CSA commanders, Pyrrhus also didn't know when
        not
        > to fight. His campaign, against the Romans, saw him destroy two
        > armies at Heraclea and Asculum, but suffered heavy losses in return.

        > This, reputedly, led him to say, "one more such victory and I am
        > lost". As indeed he was.
        >
        > His first duty was to keep his army as an occupying force, not one
        > eventually destroyed by needless heroics. Just as, less numerous
        CSA