Re: [civilwarwest] ID Flags - Vicksburg Campaign

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
      Hi Peter,

      Welcome aboard. I can't help with the Confederate side of the house but
      you will find the 17th corps flag on this page of my website.

      http://www.civilwarhome.com/17thcorps.htm

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com

      Peter Clayton wrote:

      > Hello and a Happy New Year to everyone!
      >
      > I am trying to find out about the identification flags for the Union
      > 17th
      > Corps and Bowen's Confederate Division carried during the Vicksburg
      > Campaign.
      >
      > I am aware that the 17th Corps HQ flag is described as having red,
      > white and
      > blue vertical strips with the corps badge (an arrow) in the centre.
      > Presumably this was black. I don't know the dimensions. This is all I
      > have
      > been able to find out from the sources available to me here in the UK.
      >
      > I guess that perhaps Logan's division of this corps would be a
      > derivation of
      > the above, possibly all red? with the brigade flags the same but
      > numbered.
      > Crocker's division the same but blue.
      >
      > As for Bowen's Confederate division and the two brigades within it, I
      > have
      > no idea.
      >
      > If anyone could help me with my research I would be very grateful.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Peter Clayton
    • Daniel Giallombardo
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
        --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, Dick Weeks <shotgun@c...> wrote:
        > Hi Peter,
        >
        > Welcome aboard. I can't help with the Confederate side of the house
        but
        > you will find the 17th corps flag on this page of my website.
        >
        > http://www.civilwarhome.com/17thcorps.htm
        >
        > I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
        > Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
        > http://www.civilwarhome.com
        >
        > Peter Clayton wrote:
        >
        > > Hello and a Happy New Year to everyone!
        > >
        > > I am trying to find out about the identification flags for the
        Union
        > > 17th
        > > Corps and Bowen's Confederate Division carried during the
        Vicksburg
        > > Campaign.
        > >
        > > I am aware that the 17th Corps HQ flag is described as having red,
        > > white and
        > > blue vertical strips with the corps badge (an arrow) in the
        centre.
        > > Presumably this was black. I don't know the dimensions. This is
        all I
        > > have
        > > been able to find out from the sources available to me here in the
        UK.

        > > I guess that perhaps Logan's division of this corps would be a
        > > derivation of
        > > the above, possibly all red? with the brigade flags the same but
        > > numbered.
        > > Crocker's division the same but blue.
        > >
        > > As for Bowen's Confederate division and the two brigades within
        it, I
        > > have
        > > no idea.
        > >
        > > If anyone could help me with my research I would be very grateful.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > >
        > > Peter Clayton

        Peter,

        You might also be intrested in going to
        (http://www.theonlinedispatch.com) Dan's Civil War Page( my page),and
        click on the links section.There are a couple of sites there which may
        be of assistance.-------Dan
      • Daniel Giallombardo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001