Re: [civilwarwest] ID Flags - Vicksburg Campaign

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
      Hi Peter,

      Welcome aboard. I can't help with the Confederate side of the house but
      you will find the 17th corps flag on this page of my website.

      http://www.civilwarhome.com/17thcorps.htm

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com

      Peter Clayton wrote:

      > Hello and a Happy New Year to everyone!
      >
      > I am trying to find out about the identification flags for the Union
      > 17th
      > Corps and Bowen's Confederate Division carried during the Vicksburg
      > Campaign.
      >
      > I am aware that the 17th Corps HQ flag is described as having red,
      > white and
      > blue vertical strips with the corps badge (an arrow) in the centre.
      > Presumably this was black. I don't know the dimensions. This is all I
      > have
      > been able to find out from the sources available to me here in the UK.
      >
      > I guess that perhaps Logan's division of this corps would be a
      > derivation of
      > the above, possibly all red? with the brigade flags the same but
      > numbered.
      > Crocker's division the same but blue.
      >
      > As for Bowen's Confederate division and the two brigades within it, I
      > have
      > no idea.
      >
      > If anyone could help me with my research I would be very grateful.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Peter Clayton
    • Dick Weeks
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
        Hi Peter,

        Peter Clayton wrote:

        > Hello and a Happy New Year to everyone!
        >
        > I am trying to find out about the identification flags for the Union
        > 17th
        > Corps and Bowen's Confederate Division carried during the Vicksburg
        > Campaign.
        >
        > I am aware that the 17th Corps HQ flag is described as having red,
        > white and
        > blue vertical strips with the corps badge (an arrow) in the centre.
        > Presumably this was black. I don't know the dimensions. This is all I
        > have
        > been able to find out from the sources available to me here in the UK.
        >
        > I guess that perhaps Logan's division of this corps would be a
        > derivation of
        > the above, possibly all red? with the brigade flags the same but
        > numbered.
        > Crocker's division the same but blue.
        >
        > As for Bowen's Confederate division and the two brigades within it, I
        > have
        > no idea.
        >
        > If anyone could help me with my research I would be very grateful.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Peter Clayton
      • Daniel Giallombardo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
          --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, Dick Weeks <shotgun@c...> wrote:
          > Hi Peter,
          >
          > Welcome aboard. I can't help with the Confederate side of the house
          but
          > you will find the 17th corps flag on this page of my website.
          >
          > http://www.civilwarhome.com/17thcorps.htm
          >
          > I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
          > Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
          > http://www.civilwarhome.com
          >
          > Peter Clayton wrote:
          >
          > > Hello and a Happy New Year to everyone!
          > >
          > > I am trying to find out about the identification flags for the
          Union
          > > 17th
          > > Corps and Bowen's Confederate Division carried during the
          Vicksburg
          > > Campaign.
          > >
          > > I am aware that the 17th Corps HQ flag is described as having red,
          > > white and
          > > blue vertical strips with the corps badge (an arrow) in the
          centre.
          > > Presumably this was black. I don't know the dimensions. This is
          all I
          > > have
          > > been able to find out from the sources available to me here in the
          UK.

          > > I guess that perhaps Logan's division of this corps would be a
          > > derivation of
          > > the above, possibly all red? with the brigade flags the same but
          > > numbered.
          > > Crocker's division the same but blue.
          > >
          > > As for Bowen's Confederate division and the two brigades within
          it, I
          > > have
          > > no idea.
          > >
          > > If anyone could help me with my research I would be very grateful.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Peter Clayton

          Peter,

          You might also be intrested in going to
          (http://www.theonlinedispatch.com) Dan's Civil War Page( my page),and
          click on the links section.There are a couple of sites there which may
          be of assistance.-------Dan
        • Daniel Giallombardo
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001