ID Flags - Vicksburg Campaign

  • Peter Clayton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
      Hello and a Happy New Year to everyone!

      I am trying to find out about the identification flags for the Union 17th
      Corps and Bowen's Confederate Division carried during the Vicksburg
      Campaign.

      I am aware that the 17th Corps HQ flag is described as having red, white and
      blue vertical strips with the corps badge (an arrow) in the centre.
      Presumably this was black. I don't know the dimensions. This is all I have
      been able to find out from the sources available to me here in the UK.

      I guess that perhaps Logan's division of this corps would be a derivation of
      the above, possibly all red? with the brigade flags the same but numbered.
      Crocker's division the same but blue.

      As for Bowen's Confederate division and the two brigades within it, I have
      no idea.

      If anyone could help me with my research I would be very grateful.

      Thanks

      Peter Clayton
    • Peter Clayton

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
          Peter, I'll keep looking, but I have all the major works on Bowen's Divison
          and I find no flags attributed to the two brigades. I have found several
          flags from groups within the first Brigade. For example, Guilbor's Battery
          carried a rebel battle flag with the battery name and engagements sewn on.
          The Misourian's likely identified with the Missouri State Guard Flag as much
          as anything. You can view it at my website
          http://home.carolina.rr.com/cloverwrights/2ndMo.htm

          At the end of Philip Tucker's first book which stops after Vicksburg, he
          closes with a drawing of the MSG flag and a Rebel Battle Flag crossed.

          Ron Wright

          > I am trying to find out about the identification flags for the Union 17th
          > Corps and Bowen's Confederate Division carried during the Vicksburg
          > Campaign.
          >
          > I am aware that the 17th Corps HQ flag is described as having red, white
          and
          > blue vertical strips with the corps badge (an arrow) in the centre.
          > Presumably this was black. I don't know the dimensions. This is all I have
          > been able to find out from the sources available to me here in the UK.
          >
          > I guess that perhaps Logan's division of this corps would be a derivation
          of
          > the above, possibly all red? with the brigade flags the same but numbered.
          > Crocker's division the same but blue.
          >
          > As for Bowen's Confederate division and the two brigades within it, I have
          > no idea.
          >
          > If anyone could help me with my research I would be very grateful.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Peter Clayton

        • Ron Wright