AoNV vs. AoT

  • james2044
    Message 1 of 150 , Oct 13, 2003
      We seem to be saying that the needs/wishes of the AoNV over rode the
      needs of the AoT when it came to Longstreet too. Davis knowing that
      Lee expected Longstreet & his men back and not wanting to replace
      Bragg, did nothing. This is just another case where holding VA was
      the priority.

      I agree that Longstreet would not have reversed the tide in the
      west. I don't think he would have done as badly at Chatanooga and I
      can not see him doing a Spring Hill, Franklin or Nashville. I can
      see Davis taking the AoT away from him, when he failed to "stop"
      Sherman.

      James2044
    • carlw4514
      Message 150 of 150 , Nov 2, 2003
        conveniently, the below excellent article addresses this issue in
        decisions made in '63. It was not just the CS generals who needed to
        avoid Pyrrhic victories -- in the forbidden zone, unfortunately

        http://www.washtimes.com/civilwar/20031031-074333-9828r.htm

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Peters"
        [...]
        > As with many of the CSA commanders, Pyrrhus also didn't know when
        not
        > to fight. His campaign, against the Romans, saw him destroy two
        > armies at Heraclea and Asculum, but suffered heavy losses in return.

        > This, reputedly, led him to say, "one more such victory and I am
        > lost". As indeed he was.
        >
        > His first duty was to keep his army as an occupying force, not one
        > eventually destroyed by needless heroics. Just as, less numerous
        CSA