Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Longstreet and the AOT

  • Martin Williams
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 13, 2003
      First, considering the state of Lee's own health in 1864 and the ineffectiveness or absence of the AoNV's other corps commanders, it made sense to keep Longstreet in Virginia.  (Davis certainly wasn't going to put Beauregard in command of that army, and Bragg had lost all credibility as an army commander by then.)

      Second, I think that Longstreet might have been worth considering as a replacement for Joe Johnston had he (Longstreet) not been wounded at the Wilderness two months earlier.

      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 21, 2003
        With all due respect, James, I think you have this slightly wrong.

        Pemberton was a lieutenant general in search of a command. He had
        been paroled after the surrender of Vicksburg, and awaiting
        assignment.

        The record is pretty clear that Davis toyed with the idea of putting
        Pemberton in place of Polk, and it's pretty obvious this was one more
        example of Davis being totally out of touch with the Twilight Zone
        that operated west of the Allegheny Mountains.

        Davis went west with the intention of sustaining Bragg, and hoped
        he'd find the situation such that he, as President, could influence
        the senior leadership in the AoT to come around to his way of
        thinking. He was wrong, of course - totally misguided in his
        understanding of the situation.

        Dave

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "james2044" <james2044@h...>