Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Longstreet and the AOT

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 13, 2003
      Another reason to why Hood got the command was that he was in the AOT, plus Longstreet had been severely wounded in the Wilderness.
            Also, as to the no Franklin, never say never, there was a certain attack against a heavily fortified position just outside the town of Knoxville, that was made despite the protests of subordinates that were aware of how strong the position was.

      Lee
    • Dave Smith
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 21, 2003
        With all due respect, James, I think you have this slightly wrong.

        Pemberton was a lieutenant general in search of a command. He had
        been paroled after the surrender of Vicksburg, and awaiting
        assignment.

        The record is pretty clear that Davis toyed with the idea of putting
        Pemberton in place of Polk, and it's pretty obvious this was one more
        example of Davis being totally out of touch with the Twilight Zone
        that operated west of the Allegheny Mountains.

        Davis went west with the intention of sustaining Bragg, and hoped
        he'd find the situation such that he, as President, could influence
        the senior leadership in the AoT to come around to his way of
        thinking. He was wrong, of course - totally misguided in his
        understanding of the situation.

        Dave

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "james2044" <james2044@h...>