RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Longstreet and the AOT

  • tmix
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 13, 2003
      I agree 100% with this line. I was waiting for someone to mention the
      Hood over Longstreet choice. That had to gall Longstreet terribly. TM

      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 21, 2003
        With all due respect, James, I think you have this slightly wrong.

        Pemberton was a lieutenant general in search of a command. He had
        been paroled after the surrender of Vicksburg, and awaiting
        assignment.

        The record is pretty clear that Davis toyed with the idea of putting
        Pemberton in place of Polk, and it's pretty obvious this was one more
        example of Davis being totally out of touch with the Twilight Zone
        that operated west of the Allegheny Mountains.

        Davis went west with the intention of sustaining Bragg, and hoped
        he'd find the situation such that he, as President, could influence
        the senior leadership in the AoT to come around to his way of
        thinking. He was wrong, of course - totally misguided in his
        understanding of the situation.

        Dave