Re: Longstreet and the AOT

  • hartshje
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 12, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "james2044" <james2044@h...>
      wrote:
      > We had started a line on Longstreet, the AoT, Bragg, Davis and
      > Knoxville. I'd like us to try and reconstruct that line. I'm very
      > interested in it. Anyone else wish to look at this?
      >
      > James2044

      James,

      I don't know where all the previous posts disappeared to, but I, for
      one, am interested in your topic. It looks like Martin has provided
      some good information. What exactly are you trying to find out?

      Joe
    • Dave Smith
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 21, 2003
        With all due respect, James, I think you have this slightly wrong.

        Pemberton was a lieutenant general in search of a command. He had
        been paroled after the surrender of Vicksburg, and awaiting
        assignment.

        The record is pretty clear that Davis toyed with the idea of putting
        Pemberton in place of Polk, and it's pretty obvious this was one more
        example of Davis being totally out of touch with the Twilight Zone
        that operated west of the Allegheny Mountains.

        Davis went west with the intention of sustaining Bragg, and hoped
        he'd find the situation such that he, as President, could influence
        the senior leadership in the AoT to come around to his way of
        thinking. He was wrong, of course - totally misguided in his
        understanding of the situation.

        Dave