Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Longstreet, the AoT, Bragg & Davis

  • Martin Williams
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
      There is a good essay on this by Edward Carr Franks in the book "Leadership and Command in the American Civil War."  It discusses Bragg's options at Chattanooga, why Carter Stevenson and his division were first sent up to Knoxville, and why Longstreet was selected to replace him.
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 11, 2003
        What I remember of this is that all of Longstreet's Corps- Hood's, McLaws', and Pickett's Divisions- were supposed to go, at least in the first draft of the plan.  Pickett himself pointed out that the three (Virginia) brigades he actually had present at Gettysburg were in no shape for further action, so he and they were left in Virginia.  Of the other two, Jenkins' South Carolina Brigade was attached to Hood's Division, thus laying the foundations for the feud with Law, and Corse's Virginia Brigade presumably would have been attached to McLaws' Division.  I say "presumably" because when Richmond took another look at the situation it remembered that Corse had been sent off to southwestern Virginia in response to the other part of the problem- Burnside's advance from Knoxville toward that area.  So, another Virginia brigade, Wise's, which was on garrison duty, was sent instead.

        (For those keeping track of such things, Wise's was the only Virginia brigade sent in Longstreet's Corps.  Hood's Division included the Texas Brigade, which also had the AoNV's only Arkansas regiment, one brigade from Alabama and two from Georgia.  McLaw's Division had one brigade from Mississippi, one from South Carolina, and two from Georgia.  I mention this because McMurry in "Two Great Rebel Armies" implies somewhere- I have the book in front of me but I haven't got time to look for the citation- that the Corps consisted of nothing but Virginia brigades.)

        Next, I recall reading that Richmond considered that two of the four Georgia brigades could not be taken all the way into Georgia because of morale problems.  That might have been due to hard fighting or just plain homesickness or both.  Instead they were supposed to be sent to Charleston to replace brigades from its garrison.  I further think these two brigades recovered in time to join the Corps before Chattanooga and from there went to Knoxville.   Again, I'd follow up on who actually went where for how long but I'm running out of time.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 11, 2003
          in regards to the Georgians,  the only Brigade of Longstreet's Georgians to fight in the Battle was Benning's.  Wofford's Brigade was in the area, but asigned to duties in the rear.  BryaN'S and Anderson's Brigades arrived in the next couple of days after the Battle.

          Lee
        • Martin Williams
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 12, 2003
            Found this in the ORs, Volume 29 (a Forbidden Zone volume):

            On 9/9, Lee wrote to Davis that all three divisions were on the way to Hanover Junction.  Longstreet had proposed that Pickett's Division take the place of Jenkins' and Wise's brigades in the Richmond defenses, with the former to join Hood's Division and the latter McLaws'.  Longstreet had also selected two Georgia brigades for Charleston, one from each division. "He does not want to take them into Georgia for fear of desertion." In a second message on that date Lee notified Davis that Anderson's was the brigade chosen from Hood's Division.

            On 9/10, Lee reported to Davis that "Anderson's Brigade...and Bryan's Brigade...are selected by General Longstreet to go to Charleston.  If preferred Wise and Jenkins could go in their place..." In his indorsement Davis concurred with Lee, "unless there be reason to fear straggling from the brigades named..."

            On the 11th, Jenkins' Brigade was assigned to Hood's Division and Wise was ordered to Charleston.

            On the 12th, Longstreet informed Lee that "Anderson's brigade was so far on its way to Charleston...that it could not be diverted," that he had decided to replace it in Hood's Division with Jenkins' Brigade, and that had Jenkins continued to Charleston he (Longstreet) felt that Beauregard would have kept both brigades.

            Oh, and on 9/4 Longstreet in a letter to Lee suggested that his corps remain with the AoNV, that Bragg be transferred to take command of it while he (Longstreet) replaced Bragg as commanding general of the AoT, and that the only troops Longstreet needed to take with him were Jenkins', Wise's and John R. Cooke's brigades and some artillery.  (Cooke's Brigade, which belonged to Heth's Division, like Jenkins' and Corse's had been held in Virginia during the Gettysburg campaign.)
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 14, 2003
              I agree with what Lee says, but I'm still amazed at the seeming lack
              of concern about the arrival of Longstreet's forces.

              Bragg evidenced, through his staff or otherwise, concern about
              Longstreet's whereabouts, even though he tactically assigned half of
              his army to Old Pete prior to going to sleep the night of September
              19 - and before Longstreet's arrival!

              I've suggested this before; we know of Lee's staff, we know of
              Longstreet and Jackson's staffs, but who - other than William
              Mackall, do we know of regarding Bragg's staff?

              Unless it's poor Pollack Lee who couldn't seem to get the Polk
              breakfast thingy straight ...

              Dave

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, LWhite64@a... wrote:
              > Well Bragg knew they were on the way, but he was trying to take
              advantage of the oportunity that he had before him of destroying
              Crittenden's Corps at Lee and Gordon's Mill before Thomas and McCook
              could link up with it, he also would cut off the others from getting
              back to the defences of Chattanooga. He couldnt wait for Longstreet,
              in fact Bragg wanted the movement that led to the battle to begin on
              Sept 17.