Happy New Year!

  • Geoff Blankenmeyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
      On this date the Union Army of the Cumberland regrouped after holding
      off a massed Confederate assault on the fields northwest of
      Murfreesboro on New Years Eve. Of that battle, Peter Cozzens has
      written, "Of all of Rosecran's decisions, his next was his best of
      the day. Aware that his patchwork line could not hold out
      indefinitely and that a Confederate drive against the (Nashville)
      pike itself was likely, he placed (Brig.-General James) St. Clair
      Morton's Pioneer Brigade and (Captain James) Stokes' Chicago Board
      of Trade Battery on a commanding rise near army headquarters. From
      there both brigade and battery could train their guns on any Rebels
      trying to cross the 800 yards of open ground between the eastern
      edge of the cedars and the turnpike."

      Huzzah you Pioneer Brigade and First US Veteran Volunteer Engineers!

      Geoff
    • Brad Schall
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
        To Geoff and all those other members. Happy New Year and Thanks for your
        contributions last year. I have really enjoyed your comments.
        Brad Schall
        > On this date the Union Army of the Cumberland regrouped after holding
        > off a massed Confederate assault on the fields northwest of
        > Murfreesboro on New Years Eve. Of that battle, Peter Cozzens has
        > written, "Of all of Rosecran's decisions, his next was his best of
        > the day. Aware that his patchwork line could not hold out
        > indefinitely and that a Confederate drive against the (Nashville)
        > pike itself was likely, he placed (Brig.-General James) St. Clair
        > Morton's Pioneer Brigade and (Captain James) Stokes' Chicago Board
        > of Trade Battery on a commanding rise near army headquarters. From
        > there both brigade and battery could train their guns on any Rebels
        > trying to cross the 800 yards of open ground between the eastern
        > edge of the cedars and the turnpike."
        >
        > Huzzah you Pioneer Brigade and First US Veteran Volunteer Engineers!
        >
        > Geoff

      • Brad Schall
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
          To Geoff and all those other members. Happy New Year and Thanks for your
          contributions last year. I have really enjoyed your comments.
          Brad Schall
          > On this date the Union Army of the Cumberland regrouped after holding
          > off a massed Confederate assault on the fields northwest of
          > Murfreesboro on New Years Eve. Of that battle, Peter Cozzens has
          > written, "Of all of Rosecran's decisions, his next was his best of
          > the day. Aware that his patchwork line could not hold out
          > indefinitely and that a Confederate drive against the (Nashville)
          > pike itself was likely, he placed (Brig.-General James) St. Clair
          > Morton's Pioneer Brigade and (Captain James) Stokes' Chicago Board
          > of Trade Battery on a commanding rise near army headquarters. From
          > there both brigade and battery could train their guns on any Rebels
          > trying to cross the 800 yards of open ground between the eastern
          > edge of the cedars and the turnpike."
          >
          > Huzzah you Pioneer Brigade and First US Veteran Volunteer Engineers!
          >
          > Geoff

        • Dick Weeks
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
            Dear Members,

            Let me join in and wish all of you a HAPPY NEW YEAR! When I started this
            discussion group sometime back (August 7, 1999) I never in my wildest dreams
            thought that it would grow to be what it is. I started it, with the urging
            of several friends, thinking that we would have around 50 members tops.
            Folks, we are at 220 members with no end in sight! Although the group was
            started with the fairly selfish motive of me to wanting to learn more about
            the war in the West, it has grown to be far more than that. It is one of the
            finest "school houses" on the internet. For that I will be eternally
            grateful. It has been you people, with your deep desire to learn, your
            unselfish devotion to sharing what you know, and most of all, your very
            courteous posts and responses that has made this discussion group what it
            is. My special thanks go out to the other moderators in the room, Pat and
            Laurie, without whose help we would not be where we are, and to you, the
            entire group, who have set the standard for others to follow, I thank you
            all from the bottom of my heart.

            Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
            http://www.civilwarhome.com

            > To Geoff and all those other members. Happy New Year and Thanks for your
            > contributions last year. I have really enjoyed your comments.
            > Brad Schall
          • Dick Weeks